DPDT Reversing Switch Location Positioner

matzo

Registered
Registered
I am trying to figure out where this switch needs to be wired in, I am a moron when it comes to low voltage. Any suggestions.Scan_20200204.jpg

The diagram you show in the center looks good to me. The switch would be wired before the speed control.

You can hook up the DPDT switch to the motor terminals of the speed controls. The speed control's motor output terminals hook up to the center two terminals of the switch (where the battery is shown in the diagram). The Power terminals of the speed control connect to the 12V DC power supply output. Plus to plus, minus to minus for all the connections.

The criss-cross connections across the corner terminals of the switch are two small jumpers. This is what causes the reversing of the polarity when the switch is switched. The motor is connected to either pair of the end terminals of the switch.

Probably only switch the direction when the speed control is at zero.

How big is the motor and what is its voltage rating?

Is there more information about the speed control? It may require a certain voltage polarity on its input and may not allow for the switch to be placed on the input side.

You can hook up the DPDT switch to the motor terminals of the speed controls. The speed control's motor output terminals hook up to the center two terminals of the switch (where the battery is shown in the diagram). The Power terminals of the speed control connect to the 12V DC power supply output. Plus to plus, minus to minus for all the connections.

The criss-cross connections across the corner terminals of the switch are two small jumpers. This is what causes the reversing of the polarity when the switch is switched. The motor is connected to either pair of the end terminals of the switch.

Probably only switch the direction when the speed control is at zero.

How big is the motor and what is its voltage rating?
Left Angle
- Gear reduction: 48:1
- Gear type: Worm
-
12V DC
- Rated Power: 60 W
- Max Torque 30 N.m
- Rated Torque 8 N.m at 35 RPM
- Speed when loaded at 8 N.m: 35 RPM
- Current with 8 N.m Load: 6 amps
- No Load Speed: 50 RPM
- No Load Current: 2 amp
- Type of motor: DC, Brush
- Reversible
- Low Noise < 55 db
- Permanent Magnet

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 10
Is there more information about the speed control? It may require a certain voltage polarity on its input and may not allow for the switch to be placed on the input side.
RioRand RR-PWM-15V Low Voltage Dc 1.8v 3v 5v 6v 12v 2a Motor Speed Controller Pwm,

Attachments

• 61tHtCZmUoL._SL1074_.jpg
    61tHtCZmUoL._SL1074_.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 10
I think you may need a larger speed controller for that motor. Under full load, 60W / 12V = 5 Amps. You will need about a 60-80 Watt power supply if you load the motor much. The 2Amp rating of the motor is with no mechanical load.

[Edit] Looks like the full load current of the motor is 6 Amps. So, if you are really loading down the motor, you might want something like a 100 Watt power supply. Really depends on your application.

Maybe this one: PN RRPDMSCSGSPC?
RioRand 12V-40V 10A PWM DC Motor Speed Controller with Knob-High Efficiency, High Torque, Low Heat Generating with Reverse Polarity Protection, High Current Protection

You definitely need to install the reversing switch detween the speed control and the motor. The power to the speed control cannot be reversed.

I think you may need a larger speed controller for that motor. Under full load, 60W / 12V = 5 Amps. You will need about a 60-80 Watt power supply if you load the motor much. The 2Amp rating of the motor is with no mechanical load.

[Edit] Looks like the full load current of the motor is 6 Amps. So, if you are really loading down the motor, you might want something like a 100 Watt power supply. Really depends on your application.
I have wired the speed control between the power supply and the motor and it seems to work just fine.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_cc2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_cc2.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 26
Back