DraftSight Advisory (Rant)

Yeah, the CAD folks have always loved the Quadro, which is a good solid card for 3D Graphics.
I'm running dual nVidia's. One is a GeForce 8800 GTX, the other an oldie 8600 GT. Haven't had any issues with anything I throw at 'em.
The Radeon HD 6570 supports OpenGL 4.x so it shouldn't have any problems either.

It gets better.

I have a two-screen system.

I just discovered that what has been preventing my software from running since I bought it three months ago, is the fact that the desktop shortcut was on a different screen than the screen that the software opens up on!!!!!

If the shortcut resides on the same screen that the software opens up on, then the software runs fine. If they're on seperate screens, then no go.

It appears to be utterly repeatable. I've tried mixing and matching the locations of the shortcut and the software a dozen times. The software always runs fine if I launch it with a shortcut that is on the same screen!

I don't know if this is somehow unique to my computer, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else can recreate this issue on their computer.
I have it on my two screen setup in my office. Will try it out on Thursday when I get back.

OP here with an update:

You'll recall that after purchasing DraftSight Professional, and many weeks of screwing around, I discovered that the reason my Draftsight would not run properly was that I had located the shortcut one one screen, and the software opened on the other (two monitor system). In this scenario the software would not run. If the shortcut was on the SAME SCREEN as the software opened, it would run properly. o_O

I have now upgraded my graphics card to one of the "approved " cards (Nvidia Quadro 2000) and it appears to no longer have that endearing little trait.

So perhaps my little saga has come to it's conclusion, and it is safe to go back into the Draftsight water.

I'll report here if I have further difficulty.

Last edited:
Back