Draw bar for 13in South Bend

JMBrewer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the specifications for making a collet draw bar for a 13 lathe? I checked the downloads but didn't see anything. I keep scouring ebay thinking one may pop up at somepoint but honestly may just try and make one if I knew the dimensions, etc.. Also, let me know if anyone's got one they are looking to sell. Thanks

Rick "who paid the same for a much rarer SB 14-1/2 4C drawbar, but with no collets" Denney

By the way, the 13 takes 5C collets (unlike the older 14-1/2), which have threads of 1.238x20. You'll need the adapter for the inside of the spindle, and the thread protector as a means of pushing off the adapter.

Also, the spec sheet provided here will provide other details of dimensions for the spindle:

(Edit: It also depends on the size of the spindle on the lathe--the 13 early lathes used 2C collets of maximum 11/16" size, while later ones had a larger through bore and used 5C collets up to an inch. The drawbar for the older one will be more difficult to find, probably, and so will the collets. I speak as one who has pieced together a minimal set of 4C collets for much more than getting the whole set of cheapie import 5C collets.)

Rick "noting the SB drawbars have a bearing at the tightening end to permit tightening torque to fully reach the collet" Denney

Last edited:
I saw that one on Ebay too. Is that about the going rate for a drawbar for a 13? I wasn't sure what the typical price was for one so wasn't sure how to price one. That said, I guess I'll what I need to to get one. It did look like a complete set-up for that price

I saw that one on Ebay too. Is that about the going rate for a drawbar for a 13? I wasn't sure what the typical price was for one so wasn't sure how to price one. That said, I guess I'll what I need to to get one. It did look like a complete set-up for that price
I haven't seen enough to know the going rate. But I paid $400 for a 4C drawbar for my 14-1/2, including the bar and the collet spindle adapter (but not the thread protector), or any collets. But the 14-1/2 is much less common and I wondered if I'd ever see another one for sale. Even then, the seller didn't know what it was for, and I had to know the dimensions to be pretty sure it was the right one, though fitting 4C collets was pretty indicative.

But I imagine I'll be doing a good bit of work with the collets, given that I intend to so some light milling with the lathe (I have the milling attachment for a SB 16 that I will adapt as an early project).

Rick "the parts cost more than a complete lathe with everything included" Denney

You're really going to want a drawbar collet setup. You will use collets a lot.

I've never bought a drawbar. I imagine it is something they sell if there is a demand. But in my world, a drawbar is a perfect first project on a new-to-you lathe. You get to cut a tapered bushing, internal threads, and.. Well, there's not much to drawbars, that's the reason why they're not storebought.

I was thinking it would be a good little project too. I've got a collet chuck on my 1340 but figured I'd go the draw bar route when I rebuild this lathe. Thank y'all both for the info

I went simple, bought 2 sets of MT2 collets (metric and imperial) that had a m12 thread, and made my own draw bar from a section of 12mm allthread, added a plug turned to fit in the spindle, and a nut on the end, works lovely. the MT2 fits straight into the spindle bore on my 1919 13".

The factory SB drawbar has a ball thrust bearing near the hand wheel. A complete drawbar setup is not a quickie first lathe project. More like an apprentices capstone project.

The factory SB drawbar has a ball thrust bearing near the hand wheel. A complete drawbar setup is not a quickie first lathe project. More like an apprentices capstone project.
Don't scare off the new guy. If a 7th grader can build a birdhouse, a new lathe owner can turn up a drawbar. It combines the skills of turning/profiling, threading, and fitment of standard parts (a bearing). Perfect way to get one's toes wet on day one.

Back