Drawbar accident

You now have a few ways to remedy the problem.

If the threads look good but still wont go, just run a tap through it, and should be fine. Other wise, if the thread looks bad to start with, simply return the product.

Reading your last comments. Are you saying with out the draw bar, your noise has gone, except for a second when restarting after shifting to Hi range?

You should be aware that when shifting the lever positions, you should grab the spindle and be certain each move you make is locked in place. Also, I think I would run it at several lever positions, and take note of what setting creates the noise. It could be a simple adjustment, from a loose set screw , but try and look a little deeper. If you can find a online manual, it would help you understand your machine a lot better.

PAUL
There has been much useful info here from all well-intentioned Folks that I am sure will come in handy.
Kudos to each and every one of U.

That bit about first testing and running an equivalent 7/16 thread through a new Tool is very good and practical.

There was absolutely no noise at all in the LOW RANGES. It occurred only in all the HI RANGES.

Will look for a Manual as U suggested.

Thanks a Mill
aRM

Just so's U Guys know we are serious about our equipment and we appreciate the time each one of U spent contributing to resolve our dilemma !!!

Millwright came and removed the Head today. Seems like one of the topmost bearings is shot. He's gonna open and replace if necessary. Hope there's not much more damage done.

Have also downloaded and printed a hard copy of a BP Manual as PAUL recommended.

Have also sourced the 7/16 Bar ( hens teeth here ) - just in case we need to make another drawbar.

And shopped around for hard-to-find-locally, albeit expensive, 7/16-20 NF Tap and Dies. Can get a whole set off E for the price of both of these !!! ~!@#$%^&*()P_

aRM

The Key Safety Switch is mighty old! When I was learning machine shop in High School the instructor had them on all the drill presses and mills.
As an addition there was a hook for the 3/4 box wrench hanging out of an electrical (1900) box that had another micro-switch under the hook.
That way both were kept in their home space. That was in 1961, In the next year my electrical class, we made them for the wood shop. That is a great safety for the beginners.
dwdw47

Back