Drawbar Issue - Series I, Variable Speed Head

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Now I think I'm having drawbar issues.
Would anyone like to help me out and double-check that I'm ordering the correct bar? I have an '81 Series I, 2HP Vari Head.
The P/N shown in my manual is 2183920. (Prices are all over the place, you really have to shop it. Looks like H&W is the lowest.)
http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/product/1026

Went to use my 5/8" collet yesterday and it wouldn't tighten up. (Collet is OEM BP)
Yanked the bar and the collet only threaded on about 1/2"
Threads didn't/don't look so good on the end of the drawbar. I took some emery cloth to them and managed to get the collet on. The relief I ground in trying to get it to clean up.

Then I went over to H&W and looked at a bar there..... Something might not be right with mine. Mine only has ~.70" thread.

When we scored the mill at auction there was a Jacobs 14N mounted on an R8 shank in the machine. Dale grabbed that and all the loose stuff so that it wouldn't walk away before we had a chance to pick it up.
When I finally got around to setting it up (Summer 2015), none of the collets would tighten up. I ended up making spacers for it. I saw that there was one on the parts diagram and figured maybe it fell out during transport.

I figure that for $27 I'll just replace it and put an end to this gremlin.

Thanks, _Dan

Drawbar01_r.jpg

Drawbar02_r.jpg

Drawbar05_r.jpg

They show a washer and spacer on theirs- ? Looks different than yours
Mark

This current bar is file hard... Pretty tough.

There are other makers of drawbars, Aloris is one, Dorian, etc,, . Msc has them, H&W machinery. I would buy a USA made drawbar with proper specs. They all look different. It looks like your DB was cut down. There is also the Two Life Drawbar.

There should be a YT video explaining the drawbar issue, IIRC.

The belt head and varispeed head used different length drawbars. The varispeed drive unit is taller over the spindle so the HEAD of the drawbar needs to be longer otherwise you can't get a spanner on it. That's the only difference, if I don't want the bit sticking out the top of my belt head, I shorten it, needs an angle grinder, it's too hard to cut with a saw. Some new drawbars are dual use, when the threads wear, you can cut them off at the groove and remove the spacer at the top, there's a thick washer there as well, if you shorten the drawbar and remove the spacer, you need to replace the insulating tape that held the spacer in position. If you don't do this, the next time you remove the drawbar, the thick washer will fall off and will sit on top of the spindle, when you put your new drawbar in the spindle, you may find it's too short because there is already a thick washer on top of the spindle. If you have one of those telescopic thingies with a magnet on the end, it's worth poking it down the hole before you replace the drawbar.

I stuck a magnet down it and the bore scope back when trying to figure why the bar was too long.
Then I made up some washers to use on the current one.
I believe I'll order the one from H&W tomorrow.

Back