Drawing Dimensions in Fusion360

TORQUIN

Registered
Registered
I have read a bit here and downloaded Fusion 360 as Sketchup wasn't doing it for me, as it seems more for buildings and landscaping. Fusion 360 is definitely more along the lines of designing metal parts/machines. My problem, though, is it doesn't seem to be able to have dimensions in a 3D drawing, and as you know, this is of utmost importance for a machinist.
How do you guys use Fusion 360 and get dimensions displayed in the drawing? Do you just create two 2D views of your object in the drawing, perpendicular to each other?

Thanks,
Chris
PS, I am a beginner with any CAD so don't know what I don't know.

I haven't gotten into Fusion very deeply but SolidWorks doesn't put dimensions on solid models either. 2D drawings are made from the solid model and are the basis for any machining.

In SW, dimensions can be added as annotations to a model but they aren't linked to the actual dimensions. If a feature changes, the annotation has to be manually updated. I use such annotations primarily for presentation purposes as in a design review.

Unclear what you are asking. Are you asking about the model or a drawing of the model? The model has dimensions in sketches, which are generally 2D, and in feature definitions from those sketches. Then you can make drawings from the model but I’m not sure why you would want dimensions on an 3D view in a drawing. Generally a projection or section would contain dimensions.

I don't know the difference between the "model" and the "drawing of the model". They are the same thing to me, as I know little about what I can do in this app now. I am trying to model the dimensions I think I want, and see if those numbers jive with the real world, and modify as necessary if they don't work.
If I draw an object, for instance, I am drawing a handle for a crank now, and it's a cylinder with a counter bore to put the screw/axle through. I created a 3.625" x .867" cylinder and the .312" hole all the way through, with a counter bore 1.625" in. I tapered the cylinder for 2.625" at 5 degrees (10 included). Well, that 5 degree taper in the handle 1" in, ended up being a 5 degree taper about 1.250" in, so that I could keep the end of the cylinder from being paper-thin.
I'd like to have all of the dimensions in my drawing when I take it out to the shop.

Chris

Okay, so the model is what you are dealing with and the primary focus. You can use the inspect tool to look at various dimensions. But you then have to create a drawing from the model. To do that, in your main window, select the “MODEL” drop down in the top left corner. Just to the left of the sketch button. In that drop down you will see “DRAWING.” There you can creat a drawing “From design.” A drawing is certain views of the model, to which you may add dimensions and other annotations. If you are using F360 for CAM (3D printing or CNC toolpaths) there is no need for a drawing but to take something out to the shop with you that is what you want.

If you need to know about the "drawing of the model" watch this short video;
If you are not sure what you need to know watch this series. Watch from #1 on for best results. Pick & choose to just get by;

Thanks a lot. I'm getting closer. Still got to figure out how to specify the 5 degree angle, and straighten the line in the 5 degree angle so it shows the length straight (2.625), not the length of the angle line, and dimension the diameter of the long hole (.312).

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• CrankHandleSpinningDrawingv1.pdf
    128.8 KB · Views: 18
Oops, missed that this was for a drawing! never mind.

Thanks a lot. I'm getting closer. Still got to figure out how to specify the 5 degree angle, and straighten the line in the 5 degree angle so it shows the length straight (2.625), not the length of the angle line, and dimension the diameter of the long hole (.312).
Dimension between the two lines that make the angle to show the angle; click on one then the other.

To show the length straight, dimension between the end of the shaft and the point where the taper ends.

Looks like you did dimension the diameter of the long hole. You can edit the dimension to show three significant figures, and you can add the diameter symbol the same place.

In this post I attached a drawing pretty similar to what you are doing.

Dimension between the two lines that make the angle to show the angle; click on one then the other.

To show the length straight, dimension between the end of the shaft and the point where the taper ends.

Looks like you did dimension the diameter of the long hole. You can edit the dimension to show three significant figures, and you can add the diameter symbol the same place.

In this post I attached a drawing pretty similar to what you are doing.

Got the angle in there, unfortunately it shows as 175 degrees instead of 5 even if I move it to the inside. Got the straight dimension on the taper. Turns out I had to hit the shift key when creating it, to toggle snapping.
Is there a way to make the measurements display 3 or more decimal points, .001 or .0010?
I looked at your drawing and see you have tolerances in your drawing. How is that done?

I see you are in Va. Have a look at dempseyandco.com. Great source for machines and tooling, although about 3 hours from you.
Finished part.
2018-03-25 15.03.19sm.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• CrankHandleSpinningDrawingv2.pdf
    132.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back