Drawing Involute Gears

Thumper

Registered
Registered
I need to create an 2d AutoCAD drawing of a gear for a project I am working on.
I found a great website that will generate the gear profile - http://geargenerator.com/
but the output is a SVG file. How do I get that into AutoCAD?
I searched the web and found that a program called Inkscape and convert it but it doesn't work. The SVG file has errors.

Does anyone have a different way of creating gear drawings? Lisp routines? Other generators that output DXF?

The gear I want to draw is 108 T 10.16 DP 20 deg PA. The drawing will be used to waterjet cut the gear.

Thanks

The are a number of utilities available online that will convert SVG files to DXF . Google SVG to DXF.

For gear profiles, I usually go to sites like McMaster Carr or SDP-SI.com. They have CAD models of the gears they sell in a variety of formats, including DXF and DWG in 2D and IGES, SLDPRT, and STEP for 3D. The files that I have used were technically correct and therefore suitable for use in CAM programs.

Look for one called Forest Moon Productions-GearDXF. It will create a DXF file which you import into AutoCAD or any other 2D cad program. Then do a save as into dwg file.
Ken

Thank you very much, Ken.
That utility is perfect. Just what I was looking for.
I spent about 5 hrs downloading and testing various programs. All either too complicated or they didn't work.

I'm glad you like it, too. I did the same thing trying out different ones's. This one was so simple, I couldn't believe. And I needed it to work in Draftsight.

Any recommendations for SolidWorks? A customer of mine and I collaborate on some downhole tool products, and we both use SW, but I am way behind the learning curve and just use it to mod his work, mostly. Is there a native involute draw function? Forgive the slightly OT inquiry.

Any recommendations for SolidWorks? A customer of my and I collaborate on some downhole tool products, and we both use SW, but I am way behind the learning curve and just use it to mod his work, mostly. Is there a native involute draw function? Forgive the slightly OT inquiry.

As I recall, SolidWorks had the a gear generation function in its Toolbox but the generated gears were not true involute gears. (disclaimer: This is up to SolidWorks 2012. It may have changed since then.)

I believe that McMaster Carr SW model downloads are technically correct. I have used their construction geometry to create custom configurations for various parts although not for a gear as yet.

Back