Drawing Software

rzw0wr

Registered
Registered
I am sure a lot of you draw something up before you start a project.

I am using SKetchup right now but they don't support my version anymore.
And it can get a little complex for 2D stuff.

I tried several free cad programs on line but most are confusing and 3D.

I would like a simple 2D cad program.

What do you use?

Thank you,
Dale

I use draftsight. It was free, but now $100 a year. reluctantly, I'll pay for it.

Its 2D only. I just draw more views.

On a couple parts, I've imported into Fusion 360 to make 3D models. this would only be for complex assembly designs in my case.

I second what Karl_T said. I use DraftSight for all my drawings, but now they are starting to charge for it. :(

I have to decide if it's worth $100/year for me.

I've used AutoCad since 1990. When I retired 3 years ago, I bought an older AutoCad 2007 license on Ebay for about $100.00. That was the last version that was sold as a permanent license, not a subscription. I bought something called a longbow convertor that adapted the older cad to the newer Windows operating system, also about $100.00. This has run fine on my home computer for 3 years now, and I expect at least 3 more out of it. I had to save my personal drawings on my work machine back to that older version before I retired.
Most of my work was regulatory compliance, and the P.E.'s I submitted drawings to all used AutoCad, so I didn't have a choice in software.

I loved Sketchup, one of the easiest but very functional app. It was free by Google, but later sold and no longer free. I used it to design my kitchen layout for cabinets, house remodeling and full house HVAC air duct system. It was extremely useful.
I had to make a piramid shape metal cap for my chimney, with a round hole not in a middle. After design, I unroll it into flat surface and use the measurement to draw onto sheet metal to cut. Install fit perfectly, gven the hole was not in the center.

Now, I am using FreeCAD. It is very good. But it still has some wrinkles to it. But after knowing how to use it, not too bad, and free.
It is actively being deveoped and hopefully will resolve all the wrinkles.

Solidworks for me. It's expensive but it was a one time investment, seems to have plenty more features in my 2013 version than I'll ever use.

I see that anything I can make, I can draw, but not the other way around.

Alibre Atom 3D! $199 easy to use, I find it very intuitive. Full 3D modeling then your model can be transferred over to 2D drawings, changes you make on the model will automatically transfer to your drawing. I always model my parts first then transfer to a drawing. Modeling and drawing in one program. I absolutely love this program!
I added MecSoft for Alibre ($599), it's a plug in program for Alibre, now I have modeling, drawing and CNC programing all in one program.
Richard

I've been using AutoCad since the late 80's, then went to AcadLT for economic reasons, then started using DraftSight when my 10 year old AcadLT 2010 couldn't support some of the newer DWG and DXF formats I was getting from clients.

I recently bought a new Win10 computer and AcadLT 2010 locked up the computer, and I had to do a Windows restore to recover.

I really don't want to give up on my AcadLT so now I'll look into the Longbow converter that JohnG mentions.

Check out the Design Spark Mechanical 3D design software. It appears to be quite good, and it's free. I'm learning it slowly.

Back