Drawing Software

I have used Auto-CAD and Solid Edge some time ago. Haven't had a copy of either for some time. Been using OnShape for a while now. Pretty nice program. For the hobbyist, it is free. The files reside on the web and are visible by anyone but have some security in that you have to share it with a person for them to access the details.
Haven't done any real detailed work in it yet. Recently designed some new dash panels for my boat. I roughed in some of the components to ensure I had sufficient spacing. Easy enough to remove. My buddy has a CNC Router and can download the drawings and cut them out for me.

Upper Port Dash Panel Layout.PNG

I taught AutoCAD, SolidWorks, SketchUp, Revit and hand drafting to high school students for a few years. Start with something simple, like a block with a hole. Then work your way into more complex shapes. Ya gotta learn "Mary had a Little Lamb" before you can even think if playing "Stairway to Heaven".

Use the tutorials that came with the program. Don't rush. Take your time. Some videos on YouTube are great, some are garbage. Find something that works for you.

The various programs all work a little differently, so find one that is easiest for your type of thinking. My students all had a particular favorite of the ones I showed them.

Here is a link to my class pages. On the left is a folder called "Engineering Design and Drafting". There are folders in there called "Intro to AutoCAD 3D" and "Intro to SolidWorks". There are videos I made of me showing how to use the programs. I hope they help.

Personally, I use AutoCAD (mostly 2D), a mechanical pencil and paper for my designs. For 3D printing I use AutoCAD or SolidWorks. I like SketchUp for making a quick sketch of a design, especially when I need to show it to lay people who can't read orthographic drawings.

NanoCad

I just tried the free version of NanoCad on windows 10 today. I had downloaded Autocad LT to give it a try but that expired. Using Autocad LT was like putting on a comfortable pair of old shoes. At $55/month though, Autocad LT is too rich for my blood. Anyway, I tried to open a drawing in NanoCad that I did in Autocad LT a couple of weeks ago and just got an error box. The drawing was not too complex but included some blocks, arrays. Anyway, I guess I have to rent Autocad for a month to finish that project up and maybe try to DXF it out when done.

It is really too bad that Autodesk doesn't help us hobbyists more with 2D. I've used Autocad since the stone age, back then on a "huge" 16" green-screen monitor and don't really want to learn another 2D CAD.

Anyone tried LibreCAD? I understand it is DXF only.

Here's my CAD/CAM/drawing saga.

For 2D drawings, I started with DraftSight and switched to LibreCAD. I was able to get up learning to use LibreCAD okay. I was okay with using LibreCAD for 2D. Then, with my CNC mill, I needed to learn some 3D application. So, I started with Fusion 360 and switched to FreeCAD.

After getting decent at using FreeCAD for 3D and LibreCAD for 2D, I realized I could do both with FreeCAD. FreeCAD has a workbench called TechDraw that allows a 2D drawing to be made from your 3D model.

So, now it seems all I need to use is FreeCAD for everything. FreeCAD is free. Free to use for hobby or commercial use and your files are not in the cloud. It will be free forever!

Beware that learning the 3D modeling in FreeCAD was no picnic, but now I can stay within one tool.

I learned drafting in high-school back in the 60's. Still have all my own stuff and still use it for layouts and quick changes to look at something.

Have to have CAD so I use Draftsight. $100+ a year now. Learning (very, very slowly) Fusion 360 for 3D printers. Going to look at Ascent, from another post.

I use CAD a lot in my shop. Cardboard Aided Design, I think some one said that
before but it still works fine for a lot of things.............. :eagerness:

Just yesterday my son made a cardboard radiator for his Triumph GT6 racecar to confirm fit and clearances before he orders one that won't get soggy when he fills it with coolant!
Richard

Back