Drawing Software

Solidworks for me. It's expensive but it was a one time investment, seems to have plenty more features in my 2013 version than I'll ever use.

I see that anything I can make, I can draw, but not the other way around.
I bought a seat of SolidWorks in 2012. I have been using SolidWorks for fifteen years and although I wouldn't consider myself a master of it, I can model anything that I can conceive and usually very quickly and efficiently. However, for the average hobbyist, $4K+ is an unthinkable expenditure.

That said, I started drafting manually and worked up through AutoSketch and AutoCad. It is inconceivable for me to think of going back to a non parametric CAD package. The learning curve is a bit steep at first but if you put a bit of effort into it you will become proficient . The time saved in converting ideas to working models will soon repay the effort put forth in learning the CAD software. I find a great deal of satisfaction in creating a model in software and finally making the real article and comparing the two side by side. Asode from that, working with 3D models is a great way to discover potential problems before time, materials, and tooling are expended.

Solid Edge ST8 is what I am using for 2D drafting. It is (or was) free.

I have been using Autocad since 1984 (v 1.8). I currently run version 2000i and have no plans on updating.

I have been using AutoCad since I first installed in on a IBM286 in the mid '80s. Using Autocad 2012 at it has been working well but I know that sooner or later it is no longer going to work. I just joined EAA to check out Solidworks.

Is Unigraphics still in use ? It's been over 20 years since I've used any drawing or modeling or programming seats . :eek 2: Maybe in the near future I could get back up to speed in one of these packages .

I use Sketchup. There is still a free version as far as I know. I tried several of the cad programs including draftsight and could never come close to figuring out how to use it. Maybe because Sketchup is so easy to use and does everything that I have wanted to draw that I didn't really put the effort into learning the cad programs.

UG was bought by Seimens, now known as NX. Friends have said it is more CATIA than the UG18 version that I used.

The Gubmint still use this ?

Back