Dremel 4486 keyless chuck.Can't beleive it's made in Germany.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
The keyless chuck on my old Dremel (from the nineties) finally gave out. it's not usable any more, this old chuck was a genuine Dremel4486 chuck. You would think finding a Dremel 4488 couldn't be that hard but have yo been looking for one lately? there are so many fake copies out there that only their price is a good indication of their quality, something like 2 for $5 or 4 for ~ $12 . they are all made of aluminum . the problem with the counterfeit ones is, the whole tool becomes too hard to control and out of balance.

The reason for posting this thread is to warn those who still want quality, to stay away from the cheap fake ones , you can still find a real 4486 chuck for around $25, maybe a bit more ,I finally found an OEM Dremel 4486 here for around $27(USD) and to my surprise it is still made in Germany just like my old one which lasted around 25 years:):)

Last edited:
I switched to Proxxon for this very reason. Much better built than the newer (for me that means post 1976) Dremels.

Amazon has them. I have one on my Dremel and one on my Milwaukee. Both came from Amazon in Dremel packages.
Thanx for the heads up on the cheap knock offs Ken.

Roy

I switched to Proxxon for this very reason. Much better built than the newer (for me that means post 1976) Dremels.
Didn't know about Proxxon rotary tools, they seem to be well built, not cheap either.

Didn't know about Proxxon rotary tools, they seem to be well built, not cheap either.
Yes they feel very different in use. When I use mine for deburring it is rock solid. Less chatter, built in speed control. The collets seem better quality as well, I have easily broken the Dremel ones in the past. I do still use the 1970's Dremel for ship modeling as it reminds me of my father who used it to build ship models professionally. Feels like he is there with me sometimes.

I have the Micromot 50/E with variable power supply. I suppose any 12V source would do. The 110v ones are pricier.

I was on the hunt for a genuine one of those a while back and all I found were fakes. Have to look again
-M

It seems they are all made in China now and even the Dremel branded version is only spec'd to go down to 1/32"
If anybody knows where to buy a German made one I'm all ears
-Mark

Back