Dremel 'Tool Post Grinder' Mount

JRaut

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The crankshaft for my Edwards Radial 5 requires a snap ring groove to be machined into a hardened dowel pin. Such machine work is ideally sorted out by grinding, of course. Though it could potentially be ‘hard turned’ if you had the right tooling? Not sure.

Anyway, I decided to grind it.

I don’t have a tool post grinder, so I figured I’d make my own makeshift version using a Dremel. Designs of such an attachment are peppered all over the internet, but I figured I’d toss my design out there as well.
IMG_7212.JPG

The sketchiest part was chucking up the plate in my ‘3 jaw chuck’ ;) to cut the 3/4-12 thread to match the nose of my Dremel. I just made sure I took light enough passes and didn’t spin the part too fast.
IMG_7213.JPG

There was one small hiccup with cutting the internal thread on the lathe: I have two carbide insert boring bars for internal threading. The smaller is a 3/8” boring bar and uses “11 IR A60” inserts, and the larger is a 3/4” boring bar and uses “16 IR AG60” inserts. The “A60” style insert can cut threads no coarser than 16TPI, which wasn’t coarse enough for the thread I needed to cut. The “AG60” style insert can cut coarse enough threads, but the boring bar it was mounted to was too large for the thread I was cutting.

I’m unaware of any ‘in between’ options using those inserts that would have worked, so I went and picked up this Micro 100 IT-320750 internal threading tool off eBay for about half the retail price. It was (1) small enough to get into the bore I needed, and (2) could cut coarse enough threads. Annoying that I had to buy it, but I figure I’ll use it again in the future at some point. (Yeah, yeah. I suppose I could have ground one from HSS.)
IMG_7273.JPG IMG_7276.JPG

Once threaded, I took it over to the mill to machine in the part that clamps in the QCTP holder. I took 0.200" cuts using an end mill with a corner radius of about 1/16" at about 3 in./min. The version I made is about 1/2” tall and fits in my AXA knock-off.
IMG_7297.JPG IMG_7300.JPG

One thing I wish I had done before removing the Dremel mount from the chuck, is check where the Dremel ‘clocks in’ when it’s screwed into the mount. I got as unlucky as one can get with mine. The on/off switch is completely obscured by the QCTP, so in order for me to turn the Dremel on for use, I need to unscrew it a quarter turn, flip it on, then screw it back in tight. It’s annoying and screws with repeatability. I probably won’t do anything about it though, as I can’t imagine using this tool more than about once a year. Who knows.

(Reversing the setup, or simply machining down the thickness won't work because there's a short shoulder on the nose of the Dremel. Doing either of those would make it so the shoulder no longer has any place to fit. So the solution would be to both (1) machine down the thickness and (2) increase the depth of the recess for the shoulder.)

Anyway, here are some photos of the completed design. The Dremel is not all the way screwed down in the few photos with the on/off button facing up. Once I had the right threading tool, it was a quick and easy job.
IMG_7302.JPG IMG_7303.JPG

IMG_7304.JPG IMG_7306.JPG

Nice. How did the pin come out?

Nice. How did the pin come out?
Absolutely perfect on the first attempt.

More on that in a future installment in my Edwards build log...

IMG_7309.JPG IMG_7307.JPG

I have an old dremel. Wlll have to book-mark this in my head for when the time comes I need to do something similar.

The usual approach is to slit the tab on the end and run a bolt-and-nut through it, so that the dremel is clamped rather than threaded in (for reasons you've discovered).

For owners of the Foredom rotary tool, the straight-handle version fits perfectly in a 1" QCTP boring bar holder.

Last edited:
I see you had the proper lathe bibbig in place during the operation, about 99% of the time my lathe is covered, when not being used, the airborne grime in the shop can be incredible at times.

I see you had the proper lathe bibbig in place during the operation, about 99% of the time my lathe is covered, when not being used, the airborne grime in the shop can be incredible at times.
I recently finished making up some way covers for my Bridgeport using an old treadmill belt. I've got some leftover material, so the plan will be to make some covers for my lathe too. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I recently finished making up some way covers for my Bridgeport using an old treadmill belt. I've got some leftover material, so the plan will be to make some covers for my lathe too. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
What good idea! I have a whole treadmill belt my junkyard dog self couldn’t toss still waiting for a use.

JRaut -
Nice dogbone mount! I've built several aluminum Dremel nose mounts (when I was building Rose engines). Even bought a ¾-12 tap to do them with. Here's a suggestion regarding the "clocking" of the Dremel ... don't raise the bridge, lower the river. In other words, you can probably make a spacer washer to go between the Dremel and the mount, to get it clocked correctly. If it's ½ turn off, that's 1/24", or 0.417". If you can find some .040" sheet metal, that will probably get you close enough.
HPIM1026.JPG

HPIM1027.JPG

Here's a suggestion regarding the "clocking" of the Dremel ... don't raise the bridge, lower the river. In other words, you can probably make a spacer washer to go between the Dremel and the mount, to get it clocked correctly.
Ha, funny how sometimes we miss the most obvious solutions to problems. Thanks for thinking outside the box for me!

I've built several aluminum Dremel nose mounts (when I was building Rose engines).
Way cool. I've always been interested in clock/watchmaking, and Rose (and straight line) engines are near the top of my fascination list. Would love to see some photos.

Back