Dressing a grinding wheel

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a small round industrial diamond dresser that I have never used and now need to dress the leading corner on a 5 1/2" cup grinding wheel. Just guessing I need to remove a piece of Aluminum oxide that is about 1/16"deep X 1/4" wide around the stone. My question is:: What is the correct angle to hold the 1/2" X 1 1/4" diamond dressing holder. The point on the tool is a 90` cone and my thinking is it should be similar to a HSS cutting tool where there is a lot of strength directly under the point of contact. I believe I can make a sturdy holder for the job but I am at a loss on how the diamond cutter should approach the stone. All help will be appreciated.
Have a good day
Ray

Don't attempt to cut aluminum with the diamond. Use high speed until you get to the diamond, it will stop cutting at that point. Then hold the diamond holder perpendicular to the surface you want to dress and move it sideways slowly. WEARING GOOD EYE PROTECTION. It will spray sand allover you.

Approach the wheel nearly straight on with the diamond, with the sharp point touching the wheel. Take light passes all the way across the wheel until you have the wheel cleaned up. I normally make a holder of some kind the fit the diamond shank. The type of holder depends on what I'm doing. Could be a convenient handle for hand work, or just a rectangular block for dressing surface grinder wheels.

I normally turn the diamond in the block every few uses to keep the wear sort of even.

What type of grinder are you trying to dress the wheel SG, bench, T&C grinder. I’m assuming a SG or T&C grinder because of the wheel you described.
You want the diamond to have a solid mount.
The diamond should be mounted at a angle to the mount common is 15*.
Diamond should be On center or a touch to the left with a standard clockwise spindle
The angle of the diamond should be pointing away from the wheel
Typically you infeed 1-2 thou per pass
You do one pass per infeed don’t go over the wheel multiple time at same setting dulls the grit of wheel
Speed at which you infeed diamond effects wheel performance. Fast infeed gives a coarser wheel slower infeed does the opposite.
Rotate diamond occasionally to keep diamond facets sharp.
image.jpg

Thanks guys,
The rest of the week got filled up with a phone call so no shop work for a few days. Will be in Farmingto NM tomorrow and will pick up some dust masks, I have a face shield and a canvas cover for the Clausing lathe. Fortunately there is a doorway (no swinging door) between the machine room and the room with the grinder, hopefully a curtain there will help. The Cup wheel is on a tool grinding machine Atlas I think and has tailstocks and tools for grinding HSS end mills.

Diamond should be On center or a touch to the left with a standard clockwise spindle

That is the most important fact when wheel dressing .

Back