drift punch

tinnerjohn

Registered
Registered
I want to replace the front sight on my Henry H001 and will need to drift out the old one. I was thinking of turning down a piece of 360 brass rod I have to make a drift, or would I be further ahead to take it to a gunsmith? I don't know how tight the dovetail fit is compared to the hardness of my brass stock, I don't want to have to spend more time dressing the punch than tapping the sight out! Thanks for any advice. John

It might be a good idea to find out if the dovetail is tapered.

Some firearms have dovetail sights that come out pretty good if you drift them the right direction, and not at all the wrong direction.

I would check a Henry forum.

copper might be a better choice for a drift, it does not work harden as brass can.

copper might be a better choice for a drift, it does not work harden as brass can.
It might be a good idea to find out if the dovetail is tapered.

Some firearms have dovetail sights that come out pretty good if you drift them the right direction, and not at all the wrong direction.

I would check a Henry forum.
Thanks for the replies. I have the brass stock already so I think I'll try it. I'll double check but IIRC the forums said it drifts left to right. John

Brass should work ok. That's what I use.

A little Hoppes will take off any skid marks on the blueing from the brass.

Don't do much gun work, but out of curiosity, from which end of the gun do you get right or left? On cars/trucks it from the drivers position. Thinking on guns maybe the shooters position? Mike

Don't do much gun work, but out of curiosity, from which end of the gun do you get right or left? On cars/trucks it from the drivers position. Thinking on guns maybe the shooters position? Mike
Left and right are from the shooters position, just like on a car it from the drivers position.

Back