[How-To] Drill a Morse Taper

if you look in machinery's handbook they have info on how to drill different steps. I think there is a calculation.. I remember seeing something about it long ago when looking for info on tapered pins.
I am having terrible luck on finding any information for it :/

I just went to look it up, it's only for taper pins. I thought there was a section for MT tapers. I have the 18th edition and it's pg 1570 where the chart is located, and the description is on the next page. Sorry, I really thought I remembered an MT section and calculation.

But again, for plastic probably not necessary.

You should be able to calculate it though easily. take a piece of paper, draw the taper. mark your length. measure the small mark where you took the measurement, measure the large, mark where you took the measurement
write it on the paper model... find drill sizes you wish to drill in between.

I just did it for mt2.. gotta reboot my phone, the camera won't come up. photo shortly
.20210908_222345.jpg

Last edited:
Thats exactly what i need it for so i will take you selection into thought. I will put it in a log book and update it so if i ever want to redo this in a harder material i have a starting point.

Overthinking . Make your holder 2 piece , larger hole on top and smaller hole on bottom . Spend alot or make something that works . KISS . :)

It will be in plastic. I am making a drill block for my newly acquired MT2 drills
I think if you make a holder with MT2 tapers and you put your drills in those holes you will regret it and go back to the drawing board. The Morse taper is designed to hold and hold tight. All your drills will get stuck in your drill block.

I dont think they will get stuck bc the hole will be a through hole prob with feet. I am still just in planning mode for it. I have to pack these drills up i got to send out tonight before i can even get to my mill right now.

Back