Drill Bit Sharpeners?

I just read the manual of the Darex V390:
http://www.darex.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/p/p/pp11852kf_rev_3_v-390_operating_instructions.pdf
It is essentially the same machine as my Drill Doctor 750X, designed and built by the same company. It sharpens the same range of sizes of drills in the same way. The manuals and operating instructions are almost identical. It might be heavier duty than the DD, and looks like it uses metal in some places the DD uses plastic, but at $1400 compared to the $120 delivered I gave for my DD, I am underwhelmed by what I am seeing. I suppose I might change my mind if I actually used one, but I am happy with my DD and it does what I ask of it for a LOT less money. The V390 manual says: "Recommended use: The V390 is a light duty sharpener, recommended use is 30 - 50 drills per week." Well, I certainly do not ordinarily do 30-50 drills a week with my DD, but I have done that many and more without any problems. I have ground over 500 HSS and carbide drills using the provided wheel and maybe 50-75 larger drills with the coarser 100 grit wheel that I bought separately for cheap. Both wheels are still going strong, and they are diamond. The V390 wheels are CBN, fine for hard steel, but will not do carbide. My DD 750X shows no signs of wear or failure, still works the same as when I bought it. Other DD models may not do as well...
I would keep looking, Coolidge...

Last edited:
I have been using a DD 750 for years and it has done s great job. I have to laugh when people knock the DD and then state that Darex is the only one to buy.:laughing:

I am a hobbyist and don't sharpen a lot of drill bits. However I did buy a DD when it was on sale, not sure of the model, and I find it works well for me. Most of my bits would be under 3/8".

David

I got a Drill Doctor 400 as a Christmas gift years ago. Never pulled it out until this year; I've had very good luck with mine on 1/2" and small bits. No issues on drill rod through aluminum. The drill bits were all U.S.A. made, mostly Cleveland. Haven't tried it on Harbor Freight bits. Seems like it'd grind them the same, question would be durability.

Bruce

My Darex Drill Doctor has served me very well over the years. I provides a very nice split point too. Can't comment on the newer models performance, but my old one looks more like a tombstone and kicks a$$! Model DD750

Last edited by a moderator:
I use one of those Craftsman swing jig things that I got for $5 at a yard sale. Works great for me, although I just can't do small bits (1/8 or less) worth a damn. I've gotten alot of chipped and worn drills off eBay for pennies, waited until I had a pile of them and then went through sharpening the lot. Now I have a large variety (size, length etc) of drills that cost me very little money plus when I screw up and chip one, it just takes a few seconds and it's as good as new again. Very satisfying :)

Good thread. Lots of varying opinions, but thats good. I was hired to sharpen sharpened drill bits for a good size tool and die shop as a summer job. I got extremely good at it, and guys would ask for resharpened bits over new ones. I wish I knew what brand machine they had.
I can sharpen pretty darn well by hand, but I have a drill doctor on my wish list on Amazon. Not sure how it could be worse than eyeballing.

For larger bits, say bigger than half inch I free hand, smaller than that I use DD. Under about 5/32" I either do em by hand or throw them away. Took about one hour to learn how to sharpen by hand, lots of you tube videos out there.

michael

I have the DD 750x on my Christmas list. We'll see if the big guy is willing to have his elves whittle one out for me this year.

Back