[Source] Drill Chuck Arbors

dlane

Active User
Registered
needing to order some arbors , I would like to get the most accurate ones available at a decent price.
I have a few Albrecht chucks of various sizes, and some Jacob chucks. The arbors had rust kinda bad.
Checked Enco , Albrecht j6-3/4" straight. $64 , Jacobs jt6-3/4 straight $24. Dose the T mean anything different on the Jacobs arbor
Also are the Albrecht arbors worth the extra $40. Should they specify runout of eather ones ?.
Thanks for any advice
Derrick
I need arbors for Albrecht 1/8-5/8 chuck and 0-5/16
Jacobs super chuck - 1/8-3/4
Think I should get all same size shafts , 3/4 ?

Last edited:
Nope The T is for " jacobs Taper #6. And I would check ebay for the arbors.

Hi all , So j6-jt6 is the same mount for chuck , checked EBay did not see where there made ,presumably China
I'm trying to stay away from China stuff .
These chucks are going on my mill , straight shanks in r8 collets
Thanks
Derrick

Albrecht guarantees that if one of their chucks ever slips on one of their arbors, they will replace them free of charge. Tolerances on an Albrecht arbor is <2micrometers. I don't know what Jacobs tolerances are.

I have Albrecht arbors on all my Albrecht chucks and Jacobs chucks on the rest. So far, none have slipped.

Hi neighbor, I feel your concern on arbor concentricity/quality. For a time I tried procuring a few on fleabay but had too many bad buys. I remember one time, the packaging was brand name, but the arbor had no name and definitely looked Import. The seller of course argued, had to go to resolution, big pain. I would just bite the bullet and go brand name from a reputable source and be done with it. Like from Enco when they have the 20% off and free shipping. I do not know your end desire for the way you are going to use the arbors. But I guess you are aware of the more collets, arbors and stuff you put in a set-up the more uncertainty in true position you could have…Good Luck, Dave.

Get the Albrecht and sleep better at night, this is one of the places to spend the extra imo.
3/4" is a good shaft for a 5/8" chuck.
I have a lot of 1/2" shank mills, so I use a 1/2" shank arbor on my 5/8" chuck. I have no issue, but then I have a light mill and I can't push it.

These are the chucks, so it would be best to use good r8 arbor for mill chuck not r8 collets, I was thinking switching between end mill and chuck would be better / easier with collets image.jpg Here is what I have to work with that I think are good chucks, I have others that maybe too far gone (external rust)
Jacobs #18n , #16n , #2a ,, all say made in USA
Albrecht , 1/8-5/8 j6, 0-5/16 j2 , 0-3/8 j33 ,, all German ,might be a prob getting old ones off
Thinking I might want to arbor a couple for the SB10L lathe tail stock.
If you wanted to use these chucks where would you put them , mill , lathe , drill press ?.
Is one better than the other for certain applications?.
Thanks
Derrick

Last edited:
I'd take chips&more and joshuas advise.
There are times and situations when you can cut costs with little loss of precision.
Depending of course on your priorities, this may not be one of the cost saving opportunities.
Regardless, controlling runout when you can saves all kinds of long term trouble.

Daryl
MN

Jacobs #18n , #16n , #2a ,, all say made in USA
Albrecht , 1/8-5/8 j6, 0-5/16 j2 , 0-3/8 j33 ,, all German ,might be a prob getting old ones off
Thinking I might want to arbor a couple for the SB10L lathe tail stock.
If you wanted to use these chucks where would you put them , mill , lathe , drill press ?.
Is one better than the other for certain applications?.

Derrick, the Albrechts are balanced, precision chucks. Once a bit is locked in, it becomes a part of the chuck. If the drill is ground well it will drill well. I own 4 Albrechts now and all of them are superb chucks with the obvious convenience a keyless chuck provides. I use them on the mill, lathe and drill press BUT when I need to use a big drill on the drill press a Jacobs ball bearing chuck will lock down on a drill bit better than a keyless chuck. That is where I would put your big 18 or 16N.

Thanks mikey , got to thinking I have a aloris axa mt2 lathe tool holder i'ed like a 1/2"chuck for also. I'll put the Dp chuck on a mt2 arbor and the 16n on a mt3 arbor for Dp, 18n gets a r8 arbor , Albrecht's get straight 3/4 "
I think :distrust:. Going to try to get all Albrecht arbors for Dp / mill , that's The plan anyhow ,this is getting kinda confusing all the tapers :eek:
Enco has free shipping
Thanks
Derrick

Back