• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Drill chuck capacity

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
I will be getting a keyless precision drill chuck with integral r8 shank. Options are 1/2” capacity or 5/8”. My drills go up to 1/2” and I will be getting a collet set prior to this purchase. I know better than to use a silver deeming in a keyless. When do you use the capacity above 1/2” in the 5/8” capacity? Which would you get? Thanks in advance!

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
The larger ones often don't close to zero, so some small bits might not work. Just something to think about if you see yourself using smaller bits.

Ed ke6bnl

Registered
Registered
I have found that big drills and a keyless chuck makes for hard to loosen the chucks jaws. Stick with the 1/2 in

chips&more

Active User
Registered
I would not pick a keyless drill chuck for my first chuck. One reason, can’t power tap. Second reason is chuck can lock up on bits. Third reason, can’t feel how tight you are chucking. I would get a key type and would be a Jacobs brand and be ½” cap…Dave

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
The larger ones often don't close to zero, so some small bits might not work. Just something to think about if you see yourself using smaller bits.
That is correct. The option is 0-1/2” or 1/8-5/8”.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I would not get a R8 taper shank for the chuck. I would get a straight shank. It is much quicker and easier to change out the chuck with another tool with the same shank size than it is to remove and replace the R8 taper tooling. It also takes up much less headroom and wiggle room to pull down and swing the chuck through the setup if you use a short straight shank on your tooling. Besides that, it will also fit other machines easier. A tool with an R8 shank will pretty much only fit a vertical mill. I would go with a 0-1/2" Jacobs ball bearing chuck, preferably one of the older ones in great condition that says Hartford, Conn, USA. Anything else is an import.

Glenn Goodlett

Registered
Registered
I just got a nice 0-1/2 keyless chuck for most of my work and then got a cheap 3/16- 3/4 keyed chuck off of ebay for the rare times I need larger than 1/2. The 3/4 keyed chuck with arbor was less than $30 and seems to be decent quality, but, I have not checked run out.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
I power tap all the time with my keyless chuck.
Why do you take the position you took?
When you run the spindle/chuck in reverse. A keyless chuck can easily un-loosen itself. And when I power tap small taps, I like to know how tight I’m holding the tap. On small taps I want a slip and not a broken tap. And yes, I have slipped a few taps in my chuck. The chuck, its jaws and accuracy have been the same for decades, no problems. I don’t mean spinning all day. Just a slight move of the tap from holding position…Dave

Last edited:

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
Thanks for the insight. Will likely be buying a precision keyless chuck and a 14N Jacobs in the future.

MrWhoopee

I would not get a R8 taper shank for the chuck. I would get a straight shank. It is much quicker and easier to change out the chuck with another tool with the same shank size than it is to remove and replace the R8 taper tooling. It also takes up much less headroom and wiggle room to pull down and swing the chuck through the setup if you use a short straight shank on your tooling. Besides that, it will also fit other machines easier. A tool with an R8 shank will pretty much only fit a vertical mill.
I'm with Bob on this one. I cut the 3/4 shank in half (actually less due to the undercut in the middle). There is no need for a 3 in. (or whatever it is) shank in an R8 collet. Reduces the knee-crank workout.

gi_984

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I've used an Albrecht keyless drill chuck with integral R-8 shank for years. Bought it new and is dedicated to the Bridgeport only. Works very well for me with zero issues. I have not tried to power tap with it.

I have dedicated drill chucks for each machine. US made Jacobs or Albrechts. Some have MT taper shanks for lathes, drill press, etc. And some have straight shanks for use in lathe turrets or a vertical mill head w/collet set up.

PT doc, what kind of machine is this for? Dedicated for one machine or will you share it with multiple machines?

PT Doc

Active User
Registered
I've used an Albrecht keyless drill chuck with integral R-8 shank for years. Bought it new and is dedicated to the Bridgeport only. Works very well for me with zero issues. I have not tried to power tap with it.

I have dedicated drill chucks for each machine. US made Jacobs or Albrechts. Some have MT taper shanks for lathes, drill press, etc. And some have straight shanks for use in lathe turrets or a vertical mill head w/collet set up.

PT doc, what kind of machine is this for? Dedicated for one machine or will you share it with multiple machines?
Thanks for the reply. This chuck will be dedicated to the milling machine. For me the keyless with integral r8 shank should work well. Repositioning the work piece if needed will not be an issue with the DRO. It is interesting to read how much runout is specified on some chucks that have quite high price tags. If I decide down the he road that the shank is too long, the I’ll get another with a short 1/2” straight shank or something similar. This will not be used in a production environment. I think it should work out ok.

Smithdoor

Active User
Registered
I use 1/2" ball bearing Chuck and 5/8" ball bearing Chuck both #2 mores shank so use both mill and lathe
I also have a 5/32" Chuck with a #2 Moses shank

Dave

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I will be getting a keyless precision drill chuck with integral r8 shank. Options are 1/2” capacity or 5/8”. My drills go up to 1/2” and I will be getting a collet set prior to this purchase. I know better than to use a silver deeming in a keyless. When do you use the capacity above 1/2” in the 5/8” capacity? Which would you get? Thanks in advance!
Why would you not use a reduced drill shank in a keyless chuck?

f350ca

Active User
Keyless chucks tighten with the load applied to them. A bit larger than its capacity will over tighten it to the point you need a pipe wrench to release it. Don't ask how I know.

Greg

MrWhoopee

Why would you not use a reduced drill shank in a keyless chuck?
It was absolutely against the rules in the shop where I apprenticed. As mentioned, there is a likelihood of damaging the chuck, There is also the potential of spinning the drill in the chuck, screwing up the shank. We weren't even allowed to use them in keyed chucks. The only acceptable way to hold them was in a collet. We had taper shank drills for use in the lathe.

MrWhoopee

When do you use the capacity above 1/2” in the 5/8” capacity? Which would you get? Thanks in advance!
I have a 5/8" straight shank (5/8") stub drill.

Glenn Goodlett

Registered
Registered
I just noticed that on keyless chucks, the jaws spin when tightening and loosening the chuck and on keyed chucks the jaws never spin. It all makes more sense now. Probably old news to you experienced guys. I'm guessing that you don't want to use left hand drills in a keyless chuck either?

mikey

Active User
??? Never heard of the jaws spinning in a chuck. Could you clarify what you mean?

Glenn Goodlett

Registered
Registered
OK, let me see if I can explain. Install a keyless chuck on your tailstock. When you tighten or loosen the chuck, the jaws turn around with the chuck body. On a keyed chuck, the jaws remain stationary and just go in and out. You may need both in hand to notice the difference in how they work.

To confuse things even more I noticed that the keyless chuck on my Makita hand drill functions more like a keyed chuck with a fine thread and some sort of ratchet clicky mechanism.

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Keyless chucks tighten with the load applied to them. A bit larger than its capacity will over tighten it to the point you need a pipe wrench to release it. Don't ask how I know.

Greg

I've had exactly the same thing happen with the 5/8" precision keyless in my DP. Whenever I use a large drill bit in steel, it locks up. I wrap
it with a strip of leather before applying the pipe wrench. :)

MrWhoopee

I've had exactly the same thing happen with the 5/8" precision keyless in my DP. Whenever I use a large drill bit in steel, it locks up. I wrap
it with a strip of leather before applying the pipe wrench. :)
Whenever?! You've done it more than once? How's the precision of that chuck now?

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I think it's happened twice. First time I didn't know any better. Second time, I forgot the first... :)

The chuck's fine.

brino

Active User
I just noticed that on keyless chucks, the jaws spin when tightening and loosening the chuck and on keyed chucks the jaws never spin. It all makes more sense now. Probably old news to you experienced guys. I'm guessing that you don't want to use left hand drills in a keyless chuck either?
OK, let me see if I can explain. Install a keyless chuck on your tailstock. When you tighten or loosen the chuck, the jaws turn around with the chuck body. On a keyed chuck, the jaws remain stationary and just go in and out. You may need both in hand to notice the difference in how they work.
It took me a few days to get out to the shop and check, but you are absolutely correct.
Funny, I had not noticed that before.

Thanks for posting!
-brino

f350ca

Active User
I hadn't noticed it either. Yesterday, went to mount a dial indicator into the keyless chuck and yes it rotated as I tightened it.

Greg

[6]
[5] [7]