Drill Chuck run-out

I would consider buying two new parts; a new Albrecht arbor and a set of new jaws. I know, it's a fairly large expense,($130 for both), but buying a used Albrecht can be a gamble.

I would start with at least a new Albrecht arbor. ($60/5/8" Albrecht Str. JT33).
Are Llambrich arbors any good?

Llambrich arbors, may still be made in Spain, but these days...who knows. I don't own any Llambrich arbors, nor do I know their specs/TIR. Albrecht is still made in Germany., accurate. You may be able to find a NOS
Roem made in Germany. My 3rd choice would be NOS Jacobs USA.

I about croaked when I bought an Albrecht R8 arbor for my 5/8" Albrecht chuck. I think I remember $65. I started smiling when I installed it and tested the runout, been smiling since...

I decided to buy a Llambrich. It was confirmed to me that they are still made in Spain and looks like they make a very nice chuck. Any way I installed it today as per Mikey's write up. This is a brand new chuck I got off of eBay for what I believe was a very good price for an Albrecht.
I chucked up the .5" rod and had .0015" run out at the chuck. Then I lowered the knee a bit guessing about where the end of a drill would be and got .0004"-.0005" total movement. No idea why. Operator error perhaps just that I don't know what it would be.
I checked my mill taper and had virtually zero runout. Put a .5" collet with the bar and had .0006"-.0007" I think it was. Lowered the knee again and the TIR went all kiddywampus.
I also check my bar on some vee blocks and saw ~.0002" movement.

ddickey; What kind of indicator are you using? Is it a Llambrich or Albrecht?

It is a Llambrich arbor.
It's a Compac p2, .01mm.

Here is a picture of the jaws taken out. Also the other side of the arbor. The reason I'm showing that is because Emilio questioned if it was an Albrecht arbor. Do the lines shed any light on that subject?

IMG_20180128_084643288_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180128_084508453.jpg

Here is a picture of the jaws taken out. Also the other side of the arbor. The reason I'm showing that is because Emilio questioned if it was an Albrecht arbor. Do the lines shed any light on that subject?
You can stone any burs to get the high spots leveled down. Don't get carried away and start tapers or bevels on the jaws. Then check the chuck again.

Albrecht is proud enough of their arbors to put their name prominently on them. They are worth the extra money for a good chuck, but the pricing makes you wince a bit. "The quality is remembered long after the price has been forgotten."

Back