Drill chuck stuck in tail stock

grsabourin

Registered
Registered
Hi

I have bought a old HQ-400. This machine work good but recently I would like to use the tail stock with a dead center but is seem the drill chuck is stuck in the morse connection. This machine was not used during many years. I have dismantled the axis and put some penetrating oil in the big screw hole. Two days later no results. Is some one have an idea how to seperate these parts? What about pushing with a press?

Thank you

Doesn't your tailstock have a slot where you can push an extraction wedge through to drive out the drill chuck?

I have a direct access to the drill chuck rode by the end of the axis where the screw is inserted. It is where I have put a lot of penetrating oil. It is sure I can support the drill chuck and push with a press by this access. I just scare to break something

When you extend your tailstock you should see a slot for inserting a wedge as in the pictures below.
0815040945.jpg0815040946.jpg

0815040946.jpg 0815040945.jpg

You will not break anything with a press. I would just stick a rod into it and give it a smack with a hammer.

I'm not sure I have this slot. If I have the slot I will try this way if not I will try with the press

often they will release the taper when the hand wheel has cranked the shaft all the way in. . . . exactly how were you going to press it out ? sounds like an accidental "oh crap" to me.

I looked up the model & it appears to be a 3n1 machine. Not all lathes have the slot in the tailstock ram, especially smaller size imports. If you're able to access the back of the ram, insert a punch & give it a good wack, paying attention to catch the dead center with something. It should come right out. My guess is the dead center is too short for the screw to eject it. That is if it's not rusted in there.

I would advise against using the press. To loosen the taper, you need a sharp impact not a steady pressure. By the time you get enough steady pressure to release the taper things can go flying. I would use a mild steel rod just under the size of the threads and give it a good whack with a steel hammer.
It should pop out.

You could try a pickle fork that is used for ball joint removal... just go easy on it

Back