Drill Chucks and Arbors

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So what do you guys think is better, a drill chuck with an integral arbor or separate chuck and arbor? If it's from a renown company either way I would imagine should be ok, no?

Separate arbor. If the arbor or the chuck gets damaged with the integral version, you throw the whole lot away. If you have a removable arbor, you can replace it, even with a completely different style. I also prefer straight shanks for use on milling machines, and they can be made to work on many other machines as well. You need less clearance to change tooling with a fairly short straight arbor in a collet. It will fit your next mill, even if it uses different collets.

Last edited:
Integral should have less runout & be more rigid. But that doesn't mean a drill chuck with separate arbor can't have low runout & a chuck shouldn't see side load anyway.

Some keyless chucks with integral arbors don't have the collar that you can grip to tighten if/when you need it. On a lathe tailstock it's not needed. Some mills have a spindle brake or lock. My mill does not, I had an integral & eventually switched to a chuck with separate arbor cause I wanted the collar.

Originally I went with the integral cause it's considerably shorter without the collar. I was worried that I might not have enough Z capacity sometimes but I've been ok.

Downside with the integral is you can't ever change arbors if want to use the chuck for something else or if it needs replacement for some reason. Not something that bothers me but just thought I should mention it.

I prefer a separate arbor as well, mostly because they allow for more mounting options. However, Albrecht chucks with integral shanks are said to be more rigid and accurate, with better balance and improved headroom. They are also cheaper than buying a separate chuck and Albrecht arbor.

I think the mount is less important than the quality of the chuck and arbor. When fitted well, an accurate chuck like an Albrecht will be just as accurate as an integral chuck or very nearly so. Of course, there is the human factor - some bozo hitting the poorly installed chuck with a hammer to align it and so on.

It might also depend on the job. Chucks can and do come off the JT taper on the arbor under certain conditions. It only happened to me once but that was enough. The draw bar holds the arbor but not the chuck.

I prefer a separate arbor as well, mostly because they allow for more mounting options. However, Albrecht chucks with integral shanks are said to be more rigid and accurate, with better balance and improved headroom. They are also cheaper than buying a separate chuck and Albrecht arbor.

I think the mount is less important than the quality of the chuck and arbor. When fitted well, an accurate chuck like an Albrecht will be just as accurate as an integral chuck or very nearly so. Of course, there is the human factor - some bozo hitting the poorly installed chuck with a hammer to align it and so on.
I have an old Albrecht 5/8" drill chuck, needed rebuilding badly when I picked it up. Got that done, there were no real issues with the chuck other than incorrect lubrication, lack of care, and mild abuse. The cheap arbor that was on it was bad, and I bought a genuine Albrecht R8 arbor for it, ~$60 IIRC. It now has .001" runout at the jaws and .002" four inches from the jaws. Great drill chuck, cannot say enough good things about it. Albrecht arbors are the only way to go for a chuck you care about being accurate. Just take a deep breath and go for it! Well, not the only way to go, Jacobs N series ball bearing chucks, made in the USA, were also finely made and accurate.

Not to mention that if an Albrecht chuck ever spins on an Albrecht arbor, Albrecht will replace both for free, for life.
I didn't know that, Mike. Thanks, though I will probably never need the warranty...

Picked up a nice Bison 1/8-1/2" keyless chuck and now need a JT33-MT3 arbor. Surprised to see Albrecht doesn't make them. I would go with Jacobs but have heard their quality has gone downhill big time lately. Don't know how true that is but would rather go with another name brand...that I can find! I can't find anything but Jacobs and import.

Albrecht doesn't make them anymore but they pop up on ebay from time to time. The Jacobs arbors made in England are very good but you have to search for NOS on ebay. Other brands to look for - Rohm, LFA.

Back