Drill Chucks and Arbors

Picked up a nice Bison 1/8-1/2" keyless chuck and now need a JT33-MT3 arbor. Surprised to see Albrecht doesn't make them. I would go with Jacobs but have heard their quality has gone downhill big time lately. Don't know how true that is but would rather go with another name brand...that I can find! I can't find anything but Jacobs and import.

Nice, I also use a Bison chuck for my tailstock but it's a 5/8" cap.

I used to have a Bison arbor on it but I needed to change it recently. I was going to get another Bison arbor but really IMO there's nothing special about them. They aren't even marked Bison or COO either.

I just went with a Jacobs arbor. Like Mikey said NOS are made in England. I needed it the same day, $20 from MSC. I'm assuming China but mine doesn't say on it. My English made ones do say. I'll replace it later with something better but it's been fine so far.

Ajax Tools sells the Bison arbors if interested. They have a listing on ebay.

20170420_201044-800x574.jpg

Thanks Will. From talking with the folks at Toolmex the older model numbers that start with a "7" were made in China. The newer numbers made in Poland start with an "8". MOF, I was told they are moving everything they can from China to Poland now. BTW, looks like Ajax is selling the China Bisons. I called Penn Tool the other day and the guy said they couldn't get the MT3/JT33 Toolmex/Bison arbor I needed. For the heckuvit I called today and spoke to someone else and he said they can indeed get it, and it'll be drop shipped right from Toolmex. Sweet.

Thanks, that's good to know about the P/Ns. Yeah I heard TMX was moving all their production to Poland. I assumed it was just for chucks though, didn't know it was for tooling also. Sounds good. Please keep us updated when you get it. I would like to get one too.

A little early since I don't have the arbor for it yet but just an inspection of the Toolmex/Bison chuck looks good. Really smooth action and no nicks inside on the arbor mating surface. I'll do a run out test when I can.

The Albrecht MT arbors are very rare indeed. I found my MT2.JT arbor, after searching for over a year. The Albrecht MT shank integral chucks are nice
if you want a dedicated chuck for your lathe, and they do pop up on Ebay frequently.($$$$$). I have a few Jacobs USA and England arbors, NOS, that I found
on Ebay super cheap. The vintage Jacobs arbors usually come in a green cardboard tube, but be careful on Ebay. I've seen sellers list an Import arbor with a
a vintage box or an Albrecht container. P.S.: ETM and Lambrich make decent arbors and like Mikey wrote, the vintage Rohm arbors are pretty good. (new Rohm arbors are all made in Taiwan now). Do a search on Ebay and get email notifications for your MT3/JT33 arbor. Ya never know.

Back