• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Drill Doctor

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Anybody have one?
Opinions?

Taborclock

Swarf
Registered
Mine works for small drills fairly well after a bit of practice. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. I do everything over 1/4 on the wheel by hand.

firestopper

Yes,
Had one for years, works well. I have the classic model 750. Fast and easy.

eugene13

Registered
Registered
Yes, I've had one for a number of years, worked well until the chuck broke and it's old enough that I can't buy a new one, the motor works fine, it's a give away if someone wants it.

mikey

Active User
I have one, like it and use it fairly often. Sharp drills are a good thing.

I'll be honest, Duane. You can sharpen most drills by hand on a bench grinder or belt sander. There is a learning curve and you have to concentrate but it isn't hard to do. I did this for years until my eyesight caused me to look for options.

The good thing about the DD is that it takes very little "skill" to consistently produce a usable point. If you can turn something around and around with your hand, you can sharpen a drill with the DD. The consumer grade DD is not going to last in a production environment but for a hobby shop, yeah, its pretty good. It will sharpen 118 and 135 points and split all of them if you wish. It will also grind a 118 into a 135 if you want to spend the time. It will not sharpen center drills or spotting drills.

The other thing to consider is that the DD will sharpen drills down to 1/16" and up to 3/4" with the right chuck. For a hobby guy, that's pretty good. It will also sharpen all your wire size and letter drills.

I only have the 500 model that goes up to 1/2", which is fine since above that I can go to the bench grinder, but the vast majority of my drill sharpening is done on the DD. If you buy one, also buy a spare diamond wheel. Wish they sold CBN wheels; it would work better with HSS.

Wxm88

Registered
Registered
I sharp the drill bits on the bench grinder.

jocat54

Active User
Yep, I have two now. I've had and old 750 for many years and really like it. I bought a new model 500 last year and like it also-it is a lot easier to split points than my older model. I have never had much luck sharpening on the grinder so for me they are great.

Martin W

I have had one for years. Never use it. I like using a bench grinder. Takes some practice but you can put a pretty keen edge on a drill in a short amount of time.
Cheers
Martin

Uglydog

Active User
Gave mine away as I had better luck hand sharpening even small drills.
User error?
The guy to whom I gave it is, and continues to be, pleased with it.
I continue to be pleased that the gadget is gone.

Daryl
MN

BGHansen

I have a #400 and a 750X Christmas present. Haven't used the 750X yet but have had good luck with the #400. I'm a little quicker sharpening by hand for just a touch up but go to the DD to get things back on track when I get off on the angles when grinding by hand.

Bruce

Groundhog

This was discussed to death awhile back.

I have a Drill Dr 750 and also sharpen by hand.

My thoughts are that the drill Dr. (750) works just fine if you take the time to learn how to use it properly. Using it wrong can produce less than good results. Particularly if you don't keep "grinding" until the Drill Dr. stops cutting metal. If you stop before then you are likely to get uneven and improperly ground flutes.

As everyone is aware sharpening by hand can produce excellent results. But then again, you need to learn the proper technique and have the "feel". Getting the "feel" requires practice.

Neither one is foolproof nor can either one sharpen a drill for a damn without training, practice and attention to the procedures.

firestopper

This was discussed to death awhile back.

I have a Drill Dr 750 and also sharpen by hand.

My thoughts are that the drill Dr. (750) works just fine if you take the time to learn how to use it properly. Using it wrong can produce less than good results. Particularly if you don't keep "grinding" until the Drill Dr. stops cutting metal. If you stop before then you are likely to get uneven and improperly ground flutes.

As everyone is aware sharpening by hand can produce excellent results. But then again, you need to learn the proper technique and have the "feel". Getting the "feel" requires practice.

Neither one is foolproof nor can either one sharpen a drill for a damn without training, practice and attention to the procedures.
Thats too bad,
I been using one for years with better than factory results. I also use the split point feature that works well as the final step.
My DD came with a instructional VHS video so that should give you guys an idea how old this thing is. I had to replace the diamond wheel twice over the years. These wheels can be flipped one before requiring replacement. I don't know anything about the current models but the old classic "tombstone" model works great. I learned to sharpen by hand back in HS machine shop and still sharpen the larger 3/4"+ manually.
The two most important tips I can provide is:
1) Setup the drill bit correctly from the start with the spring tangs even in the flutes then snug up the collet without rotating the bit.
2) always grind in even numbers with a consistent hand feed gliding through the lobes. Look,listen and feel.

Dont discard your DD guys, they really do work, it's NOT a gimmick.
Paco

Last edited:

chips&more

Active User
Registered
I sharpen by hand. Sometimes I use my Darex to do the 135° split point. I tried the DD once. Cheap construction and iffy results. My 3 cents…Dave.

ddickey

What about the Chisel and Relief Angles I see you can adjust?

B

Buffalo20

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I done thousands of bits on mine, have actually wore out 2 units, now on my third 750X, they have paid for themselves many time over.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I don't own one but when it first came out some old timer tuned me off them saying it was a gimmick, now with all the praises I hear, I'm thinking maybe I should get one an find out for myself.

Groundhog

2) always grind in even numbers with a consistent hand feed gliding through the lobes. Look,listen and feel.

Paco
I agree, they work good (especially when your eve sight isn't so good). I almost never sharpen drills by hand anymore.

Grinding with consistent turns will not work so good if the drill bit has inconsistent flutes to begin with. That is why I set my depth of cut to be minimal (the bolt head where the tangs get alligned) and grind until the DD does not remove any more metal. That way I am assured that the complete flute is ground and that both flutes are ground evenly. I've had instances where I counted turns, quit before the DD ran out of metal and had a poor functioning drill bit.

Dave Paine

The two most important tips I can provide is:
1) Setup the drill bit correctly from the start with the spring tangs even in the flutes then snug up the collet without rotating the bit.

Paco
Agree with the tips. The spring tangs do not always hold the bits as firm as desired, so need to tighten the collet carefully and watch for any rotation. If the tangs even slightly open a little more, need to reset.

SSage

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
The 750x works good on drill bits up to 3/4" as advertised. I find it easier and quicker than a bench grinder free hand. A quick touch up is painless and quick if you follow the directions. I read the directions twice and in 5 minutes I was sharpening bits and was pleasantly surprised at the even consistent points. The split point feature works okay on the smaller bits, its not ideally placed on the larger bits, its well behind the cutting edges on my 3/4".

The 750x has more adjustments than the older models and its worth the added cost over the 500 to me. I find the key to using it is to grind till it stops taking metal, keep count of the turns and repeat on the other side. Ease into the depth adjustment till it takes just enough metal off. Mine came set too aggressively, got it adjusted where it takes off about 1/16". Works good, quick touch ups are consistent. Adjust it up to fix rough bits, back off for touch ups. I paid $125 shipped off eBay, its saving me time and money since most of my bits are cobalt and pricey. I keep them in better shape now, its quicker than the bench grinder for me so, my bits are kept in tip top condition now. Still use the bench grinder for large bits of course.

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I read the directions twice and in 5 minutes I was sharpening bits and was pleasantly surprised at the even consistent points.
Congratulations! Lots of buyers of them skip reading the instructions, work it like a pencil sharpener, and then proclaim it a POS. Ya' gotta be smarter than the tool...

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
I sharpen by hand. Sometimes I use my Darex to do the 135° split point. I tried the DD once. Cheap construction and iffy results. My 3 cents…Dave.

I had some one on another site years ago tell if it doesn't say Darex it is junk. Told him glad to here that, as my Drill Doctor is made my Darex.

jdedmon91

Registered
Registered

I had some one on another site years ago tell if it doesn't say Darex it is junk. Told him glad to here that, as my Drill Doctor is made my Darex.
I had a consumer grade drill doctor. While it worked well I wasn’t happy with it. I came across a SRD and haven’t looked back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCjeeper

I have one. Use it for everything up to 1/2". Anything larger I sharpen by hand.

umahunter

Active User
Registered
Oh lil tip if you trim out the end of the holder you can sharpen bigger than 1/2 inch bits

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I scoffed at drill doctors and other devices for many years, but recently my eye sight had begun to fail me, and i'm finding it a bit difficult for sizes under about 3/8, so I lashed out and got a DD 500, so far I've had mixed results had a few drills that came up really well but the next time I tried it the drill wouldn't even cut. don't know what went wrong, but I guess I'll have to read the book again and give it another go.

T Bredehoft

Active User
It seems to depend on how well you set the bit in the chuck. Once the flutes are correctly located, mine only takes a swipe or two on each flute to get a good finish. Yeah, there's a learning curve. I found that a bit of lubrication on the No. 1 station (inside and out) helped quite a bit.

[6]
[5] [7]