Drill Doctor

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anybody have one?
Opinions?

Mine works for small drills fairly well after a bit of practice. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. I do everything over 1/4 on the wheel by hand.

Yes,
Had one for years, works well. I have the classic model 750. Fast and easy.

Yes, I've had one for a number of years, worked well until the chuck broke and it's old enough that I can't buy a new one, the motor works fine, it's a give away if someone wants it.

I have one, like it and use it fairly often. Sharp drills are a good thing.

I'll be honest, Duane. You can sharpen most drills by hand on a bench grinder or belt sander. There is a learning curve and you have to concentrate but it isn't hard to do. I did this for years until my eyesight caused me to look for options.

The good thing about the DD is that it takes very little "skill" to consistently produce a usable point. If you can turn something around and around with your hand, you can sharpen a drill with the DD. The consumer grade DD is not going to last in a production environment but for a hobby shop, yeah, its pretty good. It will sharpen 118 and 135 points and split all of them if you wish. It will also grind a 118 into a 135 if you want to spend the time. It will not sharpen center drills or spotting drills.

The other thing to consider is that the DD will sharpen drills down to 1/16" and up to 3/4" with the right chuck. For a hobby guy, that's pretty good. It will also sharpen all your wire size and letter drills.

I only have the 500 model that goes up to 1/2", which is fine since above that I can go to the bench grinder, but the vast majority of my drill sharpening is done on the DD. If you buy one, also buy a spare diamond wheel. Wish they sold CBN wheels; it would work better with HSS.

I sharp the drill bits on the bench grinder.

Yep, I have two now. I've had and old 750 for many years and really like it. I bought a new model 500 last year and like it also-it is a lot easier to split points than my older model. I have never had much luck sharpening on the grinder so for me they are great.

I have had one for years. Never use it. I like using a bench grinder. Takes some practice but you can put a pretty keen edge on a drill in a short amount of time.
Cheers
Martin

Gave mine away as I had better luck hand sharpening even small drills.
User error?
The guy to whom I gave it is, and continues to be, pleased with it.
I continue to be pleased that the gadget is gone.

Daryl
MN

I have a #400 and a 750X Christmas present. Haven't used the 750X yet but have had good luck with the #400. I'm a little quicker sharpening by hand for just a touch up but go to the DD to get things back on track when I get off on the angles when grinding by hand.

Bruce

Back