Drill Doctor

I sharpen by hand. Sometimes I use my Darex to do the 135° split point. I tried the DD once. Cheap construction and iffy results. My 3 cents…Dave.

I had some one on another site years ago tell if it doesn't say Darex it is junk. Told him glad to here that, as my Drill Doctor is made my Darex.

I had a consumer grade drill doctor. While it worked well I wasn’t happy with it. I came across a SRD and haven’t looked back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one. Use it for everything up to 1/2". Anything larger I sharpen by hand.

I love mine even makes cheap bits sharp

Oh lil tip if you trim out the end of the holder you can sharpen bigger than 1/2 inch bits

I scoffed at drill doctors and other devices for many years, but recently my eye sight had begun to fail me, and i'm finding it a bit difficult for sizes under about 3/8, so I lashed out and got a DD 500, so far I've had mixed results had a few drills that came up really well but the next time I tried it the drill wouldn't even cut. don't know what went wrong, but I guess I'll have to read the book again and give it another go.

It seems to depend on how well you set the bit in the chuck. Once the flutes are correctly located, mine only takes a swipe or two on each flute to get a good finish. Yeah, there's a learning curve. I found that a bit of lubrication on the No. 1 station (inside and out) helped quite a bit.

Back