Drill flute styles

natewi

Registered
Registered
Hello again,

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for all of your previous help. This forum has been a game changer for me, much appreciated.

I recently upgraded to a 3/4hp floor drill press from a very small counter press. I mainly drill mild steel, and have run into an issue when drilling through holes in hand forged drawer handles.

The new press works great for blind holes, but when drilling through holes in roughly 1/4-3/8" thick material, right when it breaks through the other side it snags and rips the vice out of my control and up onto the bit. Before this wasn't an issue because the smaller press would slip before it would do this, and I'd just baby it through.

My first thought is that i need to get bits that have a less drastic spiral angle (not tip angle but the whole flute). I've looked on MSC industrial and can't seem to find an option for changing this angle...

My next thought is that due to the material being hand forged and uneven, it is snagging when it breaks through.

Last thought is that the press itself is wobbling ever so slightly causing the bit to snag.

What do ya'll think?

Thanks again in advance!!

Hello again,

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for all of your previous help. This forum has been a game changer for me, much appreciated.

I recently upgraded to a 3/4hp floor drill press from a very small counter press. I mainly drill mild steel, and have run into an issue when drilling through holes in hand forged drawer handles.

The new press works great for blind holes, but when drilling through holes in roughly 1/4-3/8" thick material, right when it breaks through the other side it snags and rips the vice out of my control and up onto the bit. Before this wasn't an issue because the smaller press would slip before it would do this, and I'd just baby it through.

My first thought is that i need to get bits that have a less drastic spiral angle (not tip angle but the whole flute). I've looked on MSC industrial and can't seem to find an option for changing this angle...

My next thought is that due to the material being hand forged and uneven, it is snagging when it breaks through.

Last thought is that the press itself is wobbling ever so slightly causing the bit to snag.

What do ya'll think?

Thanks again in advance!!
Also forgot to mention, would a parabolic flute solve the problem? Currently using spiral.

What diameter drill are you talking about?

The usual technique is to ease up on feed pressure as the drill is starting to come through. On a heavy drill press, it is wise to fasten the vise down to the table to avoid having it wrenched from your hand. I usually use a ViseGrip welding clamp (the one with the big U shaped jaws) to hold the vise on my drill press in such circumstances.

Is the part securely clamped in a secured vise?
It is clamped in a vice, however due to the nature of hand forged items and being efficient, i can't practically clamp the vice to the press table.

This is where your new found tool appreciation comes in. If you'll be doing this job frequently look into building some kind of jig that makes it fast and easy to drill these handles. It can be made from wood and secured directly to the table rather than using a vise.

As always, pictures....

John

Had trouble adding this text. Anyway, I had same problem you are describing. I put one bolt on just one corner of my vise and used a t-nut which slides in the slot. I steady vise with one hand while drilling. By using just one bolt.... it’s quick since I don’t have to tighten the vise down and I can swing vise back and forth to line the bit to the hole needed on work. Also...little bit of loctite on the T-nut keeps vibration from loosening bolt.
Also.... I use a small machinist vise quite often. Just clamp it in the bigger pictured vise above.

Back