Drill Lube caution...

KBeitz

Registered
Registered
This ultra lube super pressure drilling lube is some of the best working stuff that you can buy...
But the fumes or out gases that comes from drilling can mess up your tools. I had most of this
rust cleaned off before I thought of taking a picture to show what damage can happen. I only
used this stuff last week. I keep my tools cleaned up. Same thing happens to the cutters or
drill bits. I've drill some hole in hard stuff like stainless that would be next to impossible with
out this lube or carbide bits.

Attachments

• DSC09412.JPG
    DSC09412.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 70
  • ultra lube super pressure drilling lube.jpg
    ultra lube super pressure drilling lube.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 67
Anchor lube doesn't rust your stuff and works on stainless very well for drilling, tapping , milling and turning
I use Anchor lube as well, great stuff. I have also had as good or better results with Boelube paste in working with the same material. I have had no rust problem with either.
What size holes are you drilling, to what depth?

Wow! Although I've never heard of that stuff thanks for the heads up. I refuse to use anything that causes stains or rusting like that no matter how well it works. None of the various lubes I use gives me any issues so I'll stick with them.

I have a bottle of the same super-lube stuff but it's never caused strong reactions. Maybe I didn't generate enough heat, I've only ever used it on the drill press. I have no idea what's in it, but there are warnings on the bottle about breathing the fumes released if heated during use. I'll definitely be more cautious about it in the future. Every time I did use it though, it worked really nicely.

-frank

The msds above is not working....

I was drilling a 1/2" hole 4" deep in hard steel. 4150 I think. Now sure on what the product was...

I had an identical issue with a similar product. This is the product:

IMG_7135.jpg

If you get this stuff hot enough to produce off-gas or smoke, within two minutes, it will turn this:

IMG_7104.jpg

Into this:

IMG_7103.jpg

Beware.

The msds above is not working....
Try this.

http://www.vikingdrill.com/pdf/Viking Drill Ultra Lube 2014.pdf

Sound like it turns into a super oxidizer (like mixing hydrogen peroxide and salt) if you get it to hot.

Decomposition
products: Smoke, carbon monoxide and dioxide, and other aldehydes of incomplete
combustion. Oxides of carbon, chlorine, reactive hydrocarbons and irritating
vapors.

According to the MSDS, the listed ingredient is a chlorinated alkane. The decomposition products upon heating would contain HCl (hydrochloric acid) vapor which vigorously attacks ferrous surfaces leaving a thin film of rust.

Back