Drill Press Chuck questions...........

Late for supper, again. Seems like a normal situation for me. There are wedges, sort of "U" shaped, but with square corners. They came with mine when I bought it new, but should be available at most any supply houses. I've only used mine on the machine, but they should work just as well on the bench.

For what it's worth, mine came with a 5/8 chuck. I moved it to the small lathe and mounted a 1/2.

I pulled the chuck off the drill press tonight to soak it til Saturday. I got a good look at how chewed up the teeth are, may not be worth saving. I popped the #2 morse shaft out and managed to install it in the JT3 chuck, so my press is operational. Have to figure out what to do with the smaller worn chuck.

Forgot to post the picture of the worn chuck.........

Attachments

• IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 126
If the teeth are worn so badly that the chuck can't be used, the sleeve can be replaced. I bought an NOS
sleeve for one of mine for about 1/2 price on eBay.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I managed to get the one chuck installed on the morse #2 and back on the drill press. It works great. I looked for rebuild parts, but did not find anything on ebay. Whole chucks are cheap enough to just replace it. For now, it's up on the someday bench waiting for me to have time to move it forward. I appreciate the advice from you fellas.

I use my drill press a lot. And the best thing I did was put a 1/2” capacity Albrecht keyless drill chuck. I love it. I should have done it 10 years ago. I have a lot of drill chucks. I have keyed chucks with MT2 arbors.... in which the little starter counterbore drill bit stays in it all the time and then another keyed chuck has a 1/8 bit. These stay with the lathe and I never take the bits out as long as they don’t break.
So what I’m saying is....I haven’t trashed my Keyed chucks. I use them with my lathes. But the Craftsman drill press has a second hand EBay keyless Albrecht chuck. Don’t buy the cheap Chinese look alike. Those are garbage and the bits slip.
Get a second hand Albrecht. Just make sure the description shows a good picture of the jaws. If the jaws look good and there’s no sign of slip-joint channel locks scouring the chuck body....then it’s probably a good chuck.

By the way. Jacobs keyed chucks should have an oil film. Albrecht keyless chucks, when you disassemble and clean them.....SHOULD NOT BE OILED. NO OIL !

Last edited:
Back