Drill Press Chucks

natewi

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I just bought a keyless chuck for my drill press, and am having drill slippage issues. It's a cheaper chuck, but I'm wondering if it really is just a crappy chuck, or if I'm using the wrong style shaft on my drills. I'm using straight round shanks, as most of my drilling is smaller than 1/4", and I havent been able to find drills that have beveled shafts (not sure the proper terminology, but it seems larger drills have a tri-side shaft which eliminates the slippage problem) for better grip into the chuck.

Here's a link to the chuck i bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMCLPWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is it the chuck or drills that's the problem? Can you recommend a better chuck that won't break the bank, or drills down to #29 that have "beveled" shafts?

It's the chuck. Keyless chucks need a spanner to get them tight.

Welcome to the forum.

I can't really comment on the quality of that chuck but for the price you probably can't expect too much. Is there a reason you went keyless in the first place and what did you replace with this one.

Also, without knowing what machine you're using and what material you're drilling at what speed it's pretty tough to make any recommendations.

John

Welcome to the forum.

I can't really comment on the quality of that chuck but for the price you probably can't expect too much. Is there a reason you went keyless in the first place and what did you replace with this one.

Also, without knowing what machine you're using and what material you're drilling at what speed it's pretty tough to make any recommendations.

John
Thanks John,

The press is a hobo freight 16" 3/4hp floor drill press. I replaced the chuck that came with it which was also slipping, and wouldn't take any bits smaller than wire #26. I set it at 720 as far as speed, it seemed to be the best (drilling mild steel), but if you have another recommendation I'd all ears.

I have seven keyless chucks, two Albrechts, an unknown made in Italy, a Phase II, a Grizzly, and two Tormachs. I have never had to use a spanner to tighten them. Keyless chucks should be self tightening.

I have never bothered with the hex shank or tri flat shank drill bits but here are some.

Good keyless chucks don't need a spanner a wrench to tighten them & one should never do so. Keyless chucks self tight on rotation (RH). This creates a problem cause under high torque they can't be loosened by hand. Spanner wrench is only used for loosening. Albrecths don't even have holes for a spanner. This is the reason I will never use a keyless chuck for drills larger than 1/2".

What are you using for cutting fluid?

I have an oilcan next to my drill-press with Marvel Mystery Oil. Others may use different stuff but I find if start the hole, then give it a little squirt, then drill I have much better success, also give it another squirt if the hole is deeper than 1/4".

If you're drilling dry that may be a large part of the problem.

John

The chuck that natewi bought on Amazon has holes in it. So, I guess you could use a spanner on it? But my 3 cents is, I don’t like keyless chucks. I have many, but prefer the Jacobs key type. Both type have good and bad. I’m just an old-stick-in-the-mud.

I'm going to bet its the chuck. Drill chuck precision is not just about run out; it is also about how precisely the jaws move in their guides, which in turn impacts on how well they can grab a round object like a drill. You have to wonder how much precision goes into making a 5/8" keyless chuck that retails for 37 bucks. You would be far better off buying a Rohm chuck brand new on Amazon. It is only a little more expensive but of high German quality.

Last edited:
I should mention that not all Rohm chucks are the same. The best is their Spiro-I, which is near to an Albrecht in accuracy and function. The Supra-I is next in line, with 0.12mm/.0.005" concentricity, has hardened and ground wear components. All the other chucks suitable for drill press use are not as well constructed (not hardened), although they are cheaper. My suggestion is that if you go for a Rohm keyless chuck for your drill press, lathe or mill then at least get the Supra-I. They are quite good - I own several of them - although a Classic Series Albrecht is a cut above.

The one I linked to in the post above is a Supra-I.

Last edited:
Back