Drill Press Chucks

If you are having slippage with less than 1/4" bits it is definitely the chuck. Unfortunately a quality keyless chuck will be more than what that one costs. Note that even cheap keyed chucks will slip.

The keyless chuck on my budget drill press slipped easily also. Drove me nuts!
Had to use two channel lock pliers to tighten it. Triangular shank drills don't slip in it but will pull out if the chuck is not tight. Replaced the chuck with a key type and never looked back.

I should mention that not all Rohm chucks are the same. The best is their Sprio-I, which is near to an Albrecht in accuracy and function. The Supra-I is next in line, with 0.12mm/.0.005" concentricity, has hardened and ground wear components. All the other chucks suitable for drill press use are not as well constructed (not hardened), although they are cheaper. My suggestion is that if you go for a Rohm keyless chuck for your drill press, lathe or mill then at least get the Supra-I. They are quite good - I own several of them - although a Classic Series Albrecht is a cut above.

The one I linked to in the post above is a Supra-I.
I just purchased the Supra. Thanks for the link and info!

What are you using for cutting fluid?

I have an oilcan next to my drill-press with Marvel Mystery Oil. Others may use different stuff but I find if start the hole, then give it a little squirt, then drill I have much better success, also give it another squirt if the hole is deeper than 1/4".

If you're drilling dry that may be a large part of the problem.

John
I have been using WD, but in trying to eliminate all possible problems I just purchased some proper cutting oil. Thanks!

An Albrecht is even better but for a hobby guy, a Rohm chuck is more than adequate.

Now consider a 1/4" Cobalt spotting drill. We had a good discussion on them here.

Get a Jacobs keyed chuck for the drill press. Those likely take a Morse taper so you could swap out as needed. Jacobs 8 1/2, 11N, 16N.

I have an Albrecht on the lathe and a Jacobs super ball bearing on the drill press. Both will hold until the motor belts slip or the drill bit is goofed up. It was quite a surprise, since all of my hand drills slip easily without the bits with the 3 flats on them. Well, I guess my huge 300 RPM arm-breaker doesn't slip.

Back