Drill Press For The Home Shop

BillShop322

Registered
Registered
I'm working on setting up my home shop and one of my first purchases will be a drill press. I will be doing mostly clockwork and other small toolmaking in my shop. I'm not looking for some amazing totally awesome high power drill press, just something that will hold up over time and have enough power to drive say a half inch bit through some crs. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the price under 350 if possible.

Youtube: search BillShop322

You mention 1/2inch.
Will you plan on drilling larger? If so, then you will want a machine which spins slower than if you wanted something for drilling in wood or watches.
It really comes down rpm, runout, and envelope.
Some are easier to rebuild than others. I prefer vintage and will pay more for rusty old iron than I will for new in crate and shiney.
I believe I get a better value. That's my decision, others may argue different. Please make your own decision.

Regardless, understand RPM and think about what you need to do with her.
If you are occasionally running 2inch+ drills than a chuck or taper which accepts the large tapers is handy.
If you are like many of us you will likely change out tools several times as your ability and focus becomes clear.

Regardless, please know that HM is a safe place to ask questions.
Do you understand about RPM, runoute, and envelope?
If not, then we will help you.

Daryl
MN

A natural enough choice and nothing different about having a limited budget. We've all been there and some of us still are. But a DP will not maximize the tasks that need done. A drill press drills. That's about it. They are no good at doing other things like milling that you will quickly want to do.

I've been fooling around with metal fabrication and then machine work for decades. Were I to start over and if I had the goals you have, the first power tool to help me do the things you say you are going to do, would be one of the Seig mini-mills: http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4962

It will drill up to 1/2 inch plus it will do milling. Both with more precision than a drill press. They can be had for around $600 on sale new and less used. Given that you can get by with 1/2 drilling you are correct that you don't need a large floor DP like a 20 inch Jet for example. Take a look at the specs on that mill and maybe you will choose to save up a few more dollars and go that way. With either choice, DP or mini mill, a decent quality vise that can be bolted to the table of the machine is necessary.

Just my two cents worth,
Jerry

I like the mill idea and it has crossed my.mind because you're right in saying that soon enough I'm going to want more capability. I will want to drill, then ream and maybe tap and bore and counterbore and slot and...the list goes on. Thanks a lot for the input.

I would say even if you decide to get a mill the drillpress will never be regretted. It's built for drilling, reaming, and tapping. Having both allows you to do a lot more without breaking down setups.

I agree with uglydog on buying something old. I bought a post war craftsman bench top for $120 last year. It's in great shape and for its size quite a beast. When I was looking I found a lot of very nice drill presses for under $150.

I thought it needed a reduction pulley to slow it down but I came across a treadmill motor that might take its place.

Either way welcome and good luck

I had a mill/drill. I will not suggest that they are bad machines. That would be untrue.
However, they have limitations. Like everything.
Be sure that you understand the limitations, and are ok with them before the purchase.

Daryl
MN

If you are going to do a lot of clock work, may I suggest a "sensitive drill press". You have to search for a used one since they expensive.

It has been said already, but Craig's List will be a good friend for you. Be patient, and keep your eyes open, you may find something more to your liking, and for less money than you ever thought possible.

Back