Drill press problem

bobloblaw

Registered
Registered
On my drill press, the MT3 is spinning on the chuck. I have tried to push them back together by lowering the assembly onto a piece of wood but when I go to use it, it just spins. I hope you can understand what I am saying. Any thoughts?

Once they spin, there usual is some metal displaced. sometimes a hone or file can fix it, sometimes not.

It looks and feels smooth inside. What is the best way to mate them back together? Are they even supposed to come apart? I have this press for 15 years and this has never happened before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Pics?
You just lost me. You have an mt4 to 3 sleeve loose?

is it lose on the jacobs taper side of the morse arbour ? or is the chuck threaded ?

Is it slipping under load or has it fallen off ?

Bob, it is likely one of two things are going on - a burr or some contaminant. Have a look at this doc.

Attachments

• Installing a Drill Press Chuck.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 18
d91364b268fad5574443113349a7beae.jpg
1cc0717ef9d3bafba85e4c1b619df614.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Check to see if it is scored. If not ,sometimes you can heat the chuck in an oven (300-325degrees)and slip it on while it’s hot and it will lock itself on. Might be worth a try.
Cheers
Martin

I might be a little out of date, and not understanding the problem correctly, but if you're referring to the chuck coming loose from the arbor in most cases the taper on the drill chuck is a Jacobs taper, not a Morse taper. The Morse taper is usually the taper where the arbor fits into the spindle.

You can buy either Jacobs or Morse taper reamers, however in most cases they're more expensive than a new arbor. There are several #3 Morse taper reamers (arbor to spindle) listed on eBay for between $15.00 and $50.00. There are also a number of #3 Jacobs taper reamers available from online industrial supply vendors. These however are generally in the $75.00 and higher range.

I would suggest contacting a few commercial machine shops in your area. If they have either style I think they would be able to ream and fit the chuck (or arbor) for far less money than it would cost to purchase a tool that would likely be used only once.

Back