Drill press problem

In the past, if the tapers are in good shape, I have taken a piece of chalk and made about half a dozen lines of chalk along the taper. Fit up the chuck twisting it on the arbor to spread out the chalk, then tap the chuck into place with a plastic hammer. It works like a charm getting a loose taper to hold. In fact, I've had trouble separating ones that I have used chalk on. Be careful not to get chunks of chalk on the taper, that can cause runout.

Richard

Ink up the male with a Sharpie or other marker.

Gently spin the Chuck in place and remove.

Now examine transfer pattern.

Bumps will be obvious, clean as needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Here is a method of last resort. Clean both the arbor and the socket well to remove any debris or oil. Acetone works for a final wipe. Place a drop of super glue in the arbor and quickly seat the chuck. Be advised that you will need to use heat to remove the chuck though. I had a similar problem to yours perhaps forty years ago and the chuck hasn't come off since, in spite of some very aggresive drilling and cutting.

Thank you everyone, for all the replies. I have some good ideas from what you all suggested. I will give these a try. Thanks again.

Update: Thanks mikey, for the document you attached to your post. It was very detailed and informative. I have got my drill press back together and working in tip top shape. Once again I want to say thank you to all who posted.

I just guess I’m brutal, I press the arbor into the chuck, using a arbor press or a hydraulic press.

Last edited:
Update: Thanks mikey, for the document you attached to your post. It was very detailed and informative. I have got my drill press back together and working in tip top shape. Once again I want to say thank you to all who posted.

And the fix was what?

Back