Drill press safety and Forged in Fire TV show..

From my personal experience (I was on the show, season 3 episode 12, the Zweihander) the Safety team on site goes through a THOROUGH walk of all tool uses and safety rules. Contestants sign a form stating that they have been shown all relevant safety information and consider themselves competent to use the equipment correctly.

once the camera's roll you have to do something BLATANTLY dangerous to have the safety team stop the show (or do something to endanger another competitor)

and they did SPECIFICALLY state that all items being drilled MUST be clamped

I have hand held many things in small belt driven drill presses, and still have all my body parts; if the job looks unsafe hand held, I use the vise grip welding clamps with the big U jaws; I always use T slot clamps on gear driven drilling machines.

Some of the safety violations on that show are scary stupid.
Each episode seems to feature one clutz . There is always at least one who has never used one of the power tools before. I just presumed that ignorance was part of the formula of the show.
Randy

Some of the safety violations on that show are scary stupid.
Each episode seems to feature one clutz . There is always at least one who has never used one of the power tools before. I just presumed that ignorance was part of the formula of the show.
Randy
Can I imagine, that perhaps, some of this may be scripted?????

Can I imagine, that perhaps, some of this may be scripted?????

I can't speak for the show at large, the episode I was in had absolutely zero scripting or even prompting from the producers.
I'm certain with more introverted contestants they do a bit more "guidance" to try and get them out of their shell. But no first hand knowledge.

I think we're all guilty of 'cheating' from time to time. I try to weigh the risks vs. the advantages before placing bodily parts in harms way. Like if a small wooden grip needs a hole poked in it, the chances of a serious injury are very low. But the 1/4" piece of steel needing a half inch hole will definitely get clamped down.

As for the show, I was watching the other night and a guy caught his finger between the press column and the work piece. It got him badly enough that he needed the med team to check it out. A band aid solved the problem, but it could have been much worse.

Speaking if the show; last week I flipped it own and heard a familiar voice... It was my cousin, right there on national TV. And tonight another forum buddy will be on at 9 PM. I'll be watching again. And I'll look for reruns of season 3 episode 12 for another forum buddy. :):)

You would think that the smith's would have a couple end mills in their bag. Funny to see them try to make a slot with drill bit and not clamping it either.

You would think that the smith's would have a couple end mills in their bag. Funny to see them try to make a slot with drill bit and not clamping it either.

The smiths are only allowed 3 personal tools which an end mill would count.
no reason for not clamping, that's just a bit silly.

Back