Drill press safety and Forged in Fire TV show..

Not heard the 3 tool limit, makes sense thou. Thanks for the info.

Watched a couple episodes of that show recently and was surprised by how interesting it was.

This year I added an 8" Wilton drill press vise (>50 lbs!) after spinning a sheet metal part that was too large for my 4" vise. No harm done, as I was prepared for that possibility. But it was a good excuse to buy the vise I've needed many times before.

I love those Wilton vices. Still want one but other tools higher on the want list.

I'm reminded of the old saying "You don't know what you don't know". Or in this case 'You don't see what you don't see'. I know personally two competitors from the show and I understand a lot of editing goes into making the show. I'm sure what we see on the air is a very condensed version of what transpires during filming. Point being that the show is there for ratings and drama creates interest. So, I'm not going to judge based on what's shown on air. Plus, I don't know how I would react to being in front of the cameras, timed, and critiqued on national television. I think those guys do a great job.

I will say I love the show and am guilty of saying aloud 'WTH was he thinking' or 'don't do it'.

Compared to other options on TV it is worth watching.

They do always edit so the most cocky and confident guy loses. Probably have them all say bragodocious things then edit in the guy who gets cut later.

Like every reality type shows, each episode needs to be better then the last. Not that they are looking for someone to get hurt, but I bet the producers would love to see a drill press take a knife blade for a spin. That, along with the arse chewing, and having the contestant thrown off the show for a safety violation, could be a high lite for the episode.

If your on the show, any screw up will make the final tape. Recall the one where the firemen showed up at the home forge. They neighbors were used to him, I figured the producer might have called in for show highlight.

They edit in sound bites as well to make judges look smarter. Nothing is off limits for ratings.

I like the show, but you just have to watch it for what it is.

Would be great to see same show setup with CNC machining or manual machining challenges. Really skilled guys show up and have to make things with random material, time limits, etc..

Maybe a show by "Skills USA" who does competitive skills competitions around the world. It works with High School age kids to find the best of them. USA gets beat bad sometimes by countries that have kids break off early High School age and into apprentices and have lot of real world experience to compete with at that age.

Would be great to see same show setup with CNC machining or manual machining challenges. Really skilled guys show up and have to make things with random material, time limits, etc..

Maybe a show by "Skills USA" who does competitive skills competitions around the world. It works with High School age kids to find the best of them. USA gets beat bad sometimes by countries that have kids break off early High School age and into apprentices and have lot of real world experience to compete with at that age.

Good idea, perhaps has teams of mentor and student. Remember Junkyard Wars, not super popular, but I sure liked it. It ran a couple season I think.

The Car and Bike build shows seem to top of list.

Back