Drill Press Suggestions

indychuck

Registered
Registered
Hello, I’ve been perusing the hobby machinist site for a while prior to setting up an account. I like what I’ve seen from a polite, cordial and helpful forum. There are multiple ways to do things and it’s refreshing to see that one person’s way is not” better” than another’s way, it’s merely different. Nothing insulting from what I’ve seen at all.

I’m not a machinist or a millwright or a mechanical engineer, I’m just simply signing up to get ideas on how to do different tasks in your field and to get opinions on some tools that I may be in the market for.

I’m currently making small scale sized flags that requires some drilling in the flag poles. The flag poles are wooden and range in diameter from .5” to 1.75”. I will be cross drilling small holes to insert threaded rods to secure cleats and pulleys to the flag pole. I’d like some suggestions on some smaller drill presses that will work for this type of small work. I don’t necessarily want the lower end drill presses, but I don’t think I need a higher end one either. What is it that separates the higher end drill presses to the lower end model ones?

Here is a link of models that I think may be good candidates, but I’m not sure. Other suggestions for this type of work would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chuck

Welcome aboard! The difference I have seen personally is mainly aesthetics. As with everything I'm shur there high grade bearings, and motors on the upper end units. I would search craigslist, and EBay for something older that could be put to work.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

I had a cheap small bench press (of the type in the photo below) and the thing that most annoyed me about it was the flexing of the table under drilling pressure. Probably not a problem if you are only drilling wood, but for drilling metal I found it a pain (possibly I needed sharper drills).
Also due to the low column length you need a low profile vice - I brought a X-Y cross-slide vice for mine but couldn't use it on the table as even set to the lowest position there wasn't enough space left for anything but the shortest drill bits.

Just a couple of things to check if your comparing models.

1000516246_4_644x461_ryobi-5-speed-bench-drill-press-handy-table-home-garden-tools_rev004.jpg

Of all the tools in my shop the drill press is the one I use the most. My first DP was a horrible radial thing made by AMT back in the late 60's. My second was a 16" Taiwan made Reliant purchased new, it had bad run out, a worthless chuck, sticky power switch... I then inherited my Dad's 15" Walker Turner, that was a revelation. I have since added another 15" Walker Turner (and two more 15" WT's that need work) and a 12" Power King (Atlas) my wife uses for jewelry work. I would seriously recommend looking for an older machine like Delta, Walker Turner, Atlas, Powermatic, South Bend, Craftsman (older), Buffalo Forge and other similar machines from the 1940's, 50's and 60's.

Of all the tools in my shop the drill press is the one I use the most. My first DP was a horrible radial thing made by AMT back in the late 60's. My second was a 16" Taiwan made Reliant purchased new, it had bad run out, a worthless chuck, sticky power switch... I then inherited my Dad's 15" Walker Turner, that was a revelation. I have since added another 15" Walker Turner (and two more 15" WT's that need work) and a 12" Power King (Atlas) my wife uses for jewelry work. I would seriously recommend looking for an older machine like Delta, Walker Turner, Atlas, Powermatic, South Bend, Craftsman (older), Buffalo Forge and other similar machines from the 1940's, 50's and 60's.

Thank you for the suggestion on an older machine. If I do find an older type, like the ones you've mentioned, how difficult is it to find someone that repairs or refurbishes them? I've got a couple old film cameras that are in need of repair, but finding someone for that kind of work is not easy at all. Would finding someone to repair old machinery like a drill press be similarly difficult?

I would look for a jewelers drill press that would seem to be designed and sized for the work you are doing. Not to be a smart a$$ but price is one good clue to precision. You can Google jewelers drill presses.
In general what distinguishes a quality drill press would be a true variable speed motor (not changing belts to change speeds), a positive stop for downfeed, a very tight quill with run out measuring .002 or less at the end of a proven straight rod in the chuck and a quality chuck with bearings. Albrecht is sort of the top of the heap in that regard and makes various size chucks including very small for the type of work you are describing.
Jerry

Think about the materials you intend to drill, softer woods and metals allow higher speeds than harder woods and metals.
Smaller drills tolerate a higher speed than larger drills.
Their are charts for metal. I'm guessing there are charts for wood.
Choose a drill press which will accomodate the spindle speeds you need and the chuck size required.

I checked the Mooresville Indiana Craigslist. There are several cool vintage DP listed.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=drill press

Daryl
MN

Would finding someone to repair old machinery like a drill press be similarly difficult?

Most of the older drill presses will be completely serviceable in their used condition if you can find a good one. They were built to last forever. If you are not able to do the work yourself, given the cost of labor, the cost to pay someone to rebuild it would far exceed the value of the drill press. The best option in that case might be to find a hobbyist that loves to work on older equipment.

For your current application just about any drill press will work fine. You don't need NASA precision for cross drilling dowels.

A drill guide something like this would be helpful

upload_2016-10-10_9-23-43.png
upload_2016-10-10_9-29-0.png

Thank you for the suggestion on an older machine. If I do find an older type, like the ones you've mentioned, how difficult is it to find someone that repairs or refurbishes them? I've got a couple old film cameras that are in need of repair, but finding someone for that kind of work is not easy at all. Would finding someone to repair old machinery like a drill press be similarly difficult?

It may not be easy to find someone else to do repairs but as far as machines go a drill press is relatively simple. You can do repairs yourself! Changing belts is easy and bearings aren't that difficult either. Manuals and parts diagrams for most older machines can be found either here under downloads on the HM site or on the Vintage Machinery web site http://www.vintagemachinery.org/. There is also loads of restoration threads on the Old Woodworking Machine web site http://www.owwm.org/index.php .

If all you are going to do is drill wood then obviously you will not need anything to robust . But I would say once you get one it will open up all kinds of possibility's . One thing you might not be aware of is that some DP's have what they call a counter shaft . One thing a counter shaft does it gives you more speeds and lets you get lower RPM's , you still have higher RPM's but if all you are going to drill is wood you might not want that feature and it costs more too . I bought this drill press http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12in...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2 it has a counter shaft , they have a smaller version that does not have a counter shaft . I'm not real pleased with this DP for one thing it won't hold a drill smaller than 1/8 , it has depth stop but it's hard to use and it does not have a spindle lock . It does have a nice work light and the lazer x finder is interesting . I like what CluessNewB is saying about getting a older DP I plan to do that . But I sense you want to get something new . I'm not real up on the newer stuff , but those ones in your link look good . One thing I can say for sure is that you will need a good work holding device . If you are mainly going to drill round stuff you could make a nice vee block with a piece angle stock and and a piece of flat stock welded to the bottom . Good luck .

Back