Drill Press Suggestions

Craigslist and eBay are great for an older drillpress. The older benchtops can be had for under $150. They are very heavy and quite solidly built.

I highly recommend these. They are usually in good shape as have been used by hobbiests.

There are quite a few options for small sensitive drill presses. They are usually a bit more cash. Sensitive drilling attachments are a good compromise.

http://sherline.com/product/1012-532-sensitive-drilling-attachment/

Best of luck finding something that will work for you

None of them are precision drill presses anymore but they can be made to run very accurately with the right bearings, arbor and chuck.

How are they made to run very accurately with the right bearings, arbor and chuck? Is this something that is done at their factory or is something that can be done in the field by a qualified person. Are the existing bearings, arbor and chuck replaced by precision bearings, arbor and chuck?

I'm just curious how one would go about accurizing a drill press that is not accurate.

Thank you,
Chuck

No, its done by the owner. Just pull the factory bearings in the spindle and drive sleeve and replace them with quality bearings. The OEM bearings are typically cheaper shielded bearings but aftermarket deep groove bearings will get the spindle running very accurately. A Jacobs or Alrecht arbor and an accurate drill chuck and you're in business. My drill press has 0.0005" of run out and it is a Craftsman drill press with Nachi bearings.

bench drill press

original had 1/2 hp ac motor

now blue dc motor, 1 1/2 hp

Jacobs chuck

table spins 360 and angles

front.JPG side.JPG

Charl

I wanted to suggest that you think about your needs a bit. Right now, you think you're only drilling small pieces of wood but like all machine tools, a drill press extends your capabilities. I'm all for getting the right tool for the job but the job may change and then you're stuck with a small machine with a limited speed range. Bear in mind that the smaller the drill, the faster the speed needs to be and the larger the drill, the slower you need to be able to go.

If it were me, I would look at benchtop machines with at least 12 speeds. I would prefer an American-made machine but Taiwan machines can be made to run quite accurately with a bit of work. I would also want something with at least a 1HP motor and a 1/2" drill chuck. The head on these machines would be the same as that found on a full-sized floor model, just with a shorter column. Yes, it might be more than you need for your flagpoles but one day, when you need to drill a larger piece of steel then you'll be set.

As for the Delta in the CL add, I would pass. If he priced it at $50 then I might consider it as a second machine but not as a primary - too limited a speed range.

Indychuck, I'm in west Lafayette and saw two great drillpresss at Purdues surplus store today.

I should have got some pics. They are a very good deal. A smaller one at $50 and a larger one( buffalo )at $100. If you want I could go back tomorrow.

They will hold something for five days. I would be happy to front the cash if you want one and can come pick it up.

I would jump on both personally if I didn't already own a bench and a small sensitive.

Just let me know

I wanted to suggest that you think about your needs a bit. Right now, you think you're only drilling small pieces of wood but like all machine tools, a drill press extends your capabilities. I'm all for getting the right tool for the job but the job may change and then you're stuck with a small machine with a limited speed range. Bear in mind that the smaller the drill, the faster the speed needs to be and the larger the drill, the slower you need to be able to go.

If it were me, I would look at benchtop machines with at least 12 speeds. I would prefer an American-made machine but Taiwan machines can be made to run quite accurately with a bit of work. I would also want something with at least a 1HP motor and a 1/2" drill chuck. The head on these machines would be the same as that found on a full-sized floor model, just with a shorter column. Yes, it might be more than you need for your flagpoles but one day, when you need to drill a larger piece of steel then you'll be set.

As for the Delta in the CL add, I would pass. If he priced it at $50 then I might consider it as a second machine but not as a primary - too limited a speed range.
Mike, thank you for your candor and input on the type of machine I'm looking for. I will keep an eye out for the minimum 12 speed, 1HP motor and 1/2" chuck options out there. I am 100% in agreement on having something that overlaps with my intended purpose (without going overboard). A young family of 3 house hunting should not be looking at 2 bedroom homes, they probably shouldn't be looking at a multilevel mansion either....the analogies can go on and on.

I appreciate the characteristics you've pointed out on the type of drill press I need to be looking at for my particular project + other potential drilling needs. This has been most helpful.

chuck

Would this one make a good candidate for a good quality drill press?

Hi Chuck,

Re: that 1940's Delta Craig's list ad....
Although I really like that age of machine for the "look", I also see that "arc of shame" across the table....that's the string of holes drilled into the table when the user didn't know or care about where the drill bit would end up after drilling thru the work.

To me, it shows a huge lack of respect for the equipment and would make me wonder what else was abused on it.

Like @mikey said above for the right price I would get it expecting to do some work on it.
I would definitely look into Ralph J.'s (@rrjohnso2000) suggested source above.

-brino

Back