Drill press to cheap mill conversion.

great white

Active User
Registered
So yeah, it's been tried before. We all know the results are marginal at best. But I've got a bunch of junk taking up space and a mill (even limited) would be useful from time to time. I do have an original Atlas milling attachment and it works well for very small items, but the travel is very limited on that and sometimes i could use a few more inches of travel to finish a piece, rather than repositioning and rejigging everything. There's also times when the vertical milling attachement just isn't capable of holding certain items or capable of getting hte work piece in the right postion, where a horizontal t plate would work much better.

First is the base material, a generic 8" drill press. You know the type, Chinese, mass produced, not exactly all that capable, even as a drill press. So I strip it down and check the runout on the quill. It's got a JT33 chuck, but that's going away. So I checked the quill on the jt33 taper once the chuck was removed.

At first blush, it's didn't look too bad. Only about a thou runout. But then I tried pressing on the quill (while extended fully) and the issue with these cheap little things became obvious: about .005 play. Bearings are actually very tight (with movement so little it doesn't even really measure) and further investigation revealed it's the clearance between the quill and the bore it sits in. Five thou is actually workable for the small projects I need it for, but I have a few ideas on how to take up that slack. I'll definitely have to look and see if I can get that runout down as it will only be magnified by any play or flex in other parts of the machine.

I could just use the drill chuck to hold end mills, but I wanted a little more accuracy than that. So I found an er32 spring collet holder with a JT33 taper to fit on the drill press quill. Again, not the the most rigid or accurate setup, but its still better than just a cheap little chuck.

Next I needed a way to feed the quill down to the work without having to fight the return spring. I could just remove the spring, but then I'd have to be cautious of the quill coming loose and dropping into the work piece. So the spring stays and I'm going to build a worm gear arrangement to give me the up and down feed.

For rpm, I'm going to install a little digital readout for the chuck speed and for now, speeds will be changed via the stock belt and pulley drill press setup.

I'll need a quill lock. but that's a simple job of drilling a hole and installing a threaded bolt for a lock.

Most guys use an xy table when doing this sort of thing. That's more money and I'd like to make this as "frugal" a build as possible. So the plan is to mount the drill press behind the Atlas TH42 (towards opposite end from the head-stock)and use the cross slide as the xy table. I'm already making a t slot plate for my milling attachment and it already mounts to the same tapered boss on the milling attachment as the compound rest, so it will drop right on to the cross slide as is. the benefit of using the lathe slide is it will give me much more travel as opposed to the limited travel of the milling attachment as well as any generic xy table.

I can already hear the flex, movement and accuracy comments about mounting a drill press behind the lathe and using the lathe slide. here's the thing: my lathe is mounted on a table with 1/4" plate as the top and 2x4 tube is welded to the underside directly under the lathe ways. what I'm planing to do is weld another section of 2x4 tube under the table where the drill press will be bolted to. Essentially, the new piece of tube will be at a right angle to the existing one and welded to both the long tube and the table top itself.

The drill press itself will be be shortened as much as possible in order to try and eliminate as much flex as possible.

So far, I've got about 50 bucks Canadian in this, not counting the drill press, lathe and other bits I already had lying around.

Yes, it' going to be pretty limited, but this is as much about seeing what I can build out of some "scraps" as much as actually using it. And as mentioned, my needs (and expectations) are pretty minimal, so it's worth a try to build something.

Pictures to come as I start building it.

Last edited:
My old press has the same problem but worse, probably 15-20 thou of quill slop.
The other thing they have is the table drop when you loosen the column clamp
Mine is Taiwan made also, which is surprising- late 70s vintage

My old press has the same problem but worse, probably 15-20 thou of quill slop.
The other thing they have is the table drop when you loosen the column clamp
Mine is Taiwan made also, which is surprising- late 70s vintage
Drill table is going in the scrap bin so no worries there....

good idea to use the lathe as the XY, I think Emco did that with their 3-in-1 machines. You can take up the quill slop with 2 brass tipped screws 90deg from each other coming from the back or the front of the quill.

Does it have a male JT33 taper? How are you going to secure your collet chuck on there? On my Walker Turner I used a router chuck, which has a collar that screws onto the spindle. Even then it would occasionally come loose.

Biggest problems I had with my set up (WT15" drill press with heavily modded HF XY vise) was no fine down feed and flex, which would lead to endmills wandering in slotting cuts and breaking. I made a lot of stuff with mine, probably to the detriment of my spindle bearings, but I'm heartily glad not to have to use it as a mill anymore. Still, a bad mill is better than no mill!

I tried it years ago and the spindle bearings didn’t last long. Hope you have better luck than I did. Would like to see pictures. We all love pictures here. If you don’t try it you will never know.

well, looks like using the lathe slide isn't going to be an option. The drill press is only a little 8 incher and when the cross slide is centered on the drill head, you just can't get it in there due to the chip guard and the travel of the cross slide itself. I looked at maybe mounting hte drill head between the bed ways so the most travel could be gained from the cross slide, but it meant removing hte tail stock and finding a way to make the drill head removable.

So long story short, it's just not going to work on the lathe.

Right now, I'm looking at xy milling tables. Not cheap to get anything decent. I could buy an aluminum topped one for right around 100 bucks, but they all look so cheap and flimsy. There will be enough flex and slop to deal with as it is, last thing I want is to introduce more.

there is one I'm looking at that is cast iron and has a nice wide base, but it ain't what I woudl call "cheap".....
good idea to use the lathe as the XY, I think Emco did that with their 3-in-1 machines. You can take up the quill slop with 2 brass tipped screws 90deg from each other coming from the back or the front of the quill.

Does it have a male JT33 taper? How are you going to secure your collet chuck on there? On my Walker Turner I used a router chuck, which has a collar that screws onto the spindle. Even then it would occasionally come loose.

Biggest problems I had with my set up (WT15" drill press with heavily modded HF XY vise) was no fine down feed and flex, which would lead to endmills wandering in slotting cuts and breaking. I made a lot of stuff with mine, probably to the detriment of my spindle bearings, but I'm heartily glad not to have to use it as a mill anymore. Still, a bad mill is better than no mill!
Yes, male jt33 taper,. I've ordered a spring collet holder that has a female jt33 taper. I plan to heat and cool to fit them together and with any luck, it will essentially lock them together. We'll see how it works once up and running.

Fine movement is what the worm gear arrangement is for. Here's a guy that did one on his press:

Skip forward to 6:10 if all you want to see is the worm gear installation.

For the 4-5 thou play in the quill, I'm planning to add a "gib" inside the bore. The quill has a slot for a locating screw so it doesn't revolve the quill threads off the gear lift mechanism. My plan is to reuse the hole at the bottom of the quill shaft that hold the anit rotation screw, add 2-3 more above it and add a gib of material like brass, UHM or maybe a teflon/steel combo. The gib will prevent the quill from rotating and I can use it to take up the slop between the quill shaft and its bore.

Its also tight enough clearances that I might coat the parts with spray graphite and see if that helps any. the clearances are actually kind of aggravating. Its too tight to take a bush or shim, yet loose enough to give unacceptable slop. I need to get it up and running first and if it's too bad, I may bore the head and press in a bushing, then ream to closer tolerances.

this project seems to be blowing up already. so much for a cheap little project. Still, if I end up with 200-300 in it and it works, that's still waaaay cheaper than a small benchtop mill. Good luck getting even a chinese import around here for less than 1500 all said and done (taxes, delivery costs/gas to go get it, etc).

Last edited:
I tried it years ago and the spindle bearings didn’t last long. Hope you have better luck than I did. Would like to see pictures. We all love pictures here. If you don’t try it you will never know.
no worries, I'm not expecting much out of them. I've already got my eye on some wider, better quality bearings......or possibly swapping out to a plain bearing/bushing arrangement.

I'm just remembering I've got a motor and controller off an old treadmill in the shop somewhere. I may look at installing it on the press so I can have some fine control over the speeds. I do have a dc controller that would handle a DC motor (danfoss). Iused one on my lathe when I converted to the Baldor dc motor and it's absolutely wonderful. It needs a new power diode, but I may rebuild it and use that to control the dc motor on the lathe.

Hmmm, I wonder if it would be worth it to ditch the belts and change it to a gear drive head off the dc motor....but that's a project for a day after I see if this thing will work at all.....

So, I was looking at cheap xy tables and wasn't liking anything I was seeing: extruded aluminum tables, plastic pieces and just generally looking like what they are - cheap.

I decided to spend a little more money and get something that at least looks like it could be half decent:

Travel is stated at roughly 8" x 4". That's plenty for what I'm building.

At least it's cast iron (66 lbs on the shipping invoice!) and has a much wider base for the table than the cheaper aluminum.plastic ones:

I figure if the whole mill/drill thing doesn't work out, at least the table seems decent and reusable for other projects. Or it woudl make a fine start on a home built benchtop mill (already planning for if/when the little drill press dies). the table is chinese built, so I'll treat it like all the other chinese things I've had: as a kit and requiring final assembly and adjustments.

Up to 200 Canadian invested now. 150 of that is the milling table. Still waaay below the price of a cheap benchtop mill.drill.

Last edited:
Well, I never thought of doing this to remove quill play:

Interesting to say the least. But it does seem like it is taking a round hole and making it an oval.....not to mention further weakening an already weak Chinese cast iron piece.

Last edited:
Back