• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Drill press vise casting kit ???

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

umahunter

Active User
Registered
I was watching tubal cains latest video on building a drill press vise from a cast iron casting kit. where you buy the raw casting and do the finish machining and add rod handle etc. it looks kinda like a cool project and useful does anyone know if anyone still makes a kit like this for purchase ???

Hukshawn

Titanium
Former Member
I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to actually hog out the vise from a piece of stock if the kit isn’t available anymore.

DoogieB

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
No vises, but this fellow does sell castings that would be of interest to a hobby machinist:

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/

If you follow Clickspring on Youtube, he's using the filling machine ML-18.

I would imagine with cheap imported vises and the current lack of schooling in industrial arts that vise kits and other things similar went away years ago.

Hukshawn

Titanium
Former Member
No vises, but this fellow does sell castings that would be of interest to a hobby machinist:

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/

If you follow Clickspring on Youtube, he's using the filling machine ML-18.

I would imagine with cheap imported vises and the current lack of schooling in industrial arts that vise kits and other things similar went away years ago.
Older, by some neat stuff there. The steady ready peaked my interested. But at $45 shipping to Canada plus duty, that's a bit pricy.

Its actually starting to make me interested in the idea. One of my issues is thinking up something to build. So, like most, all my machining so far has been tooling of some kind. It would be nice to actually make something functional that's not just simple tooling.

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I can say these products are high quality. I made the MA21 collet chuck for a Seneca Falls Star #20 lathe several years ago. Using the castings and following the instructions the chuck was completed with .0002" run out. This particular piece can be made from raw stock. It's a copy of one originally made by Pat Loop. He published the plans in the June 1988 issue of the magazine "Projects In Metal".

Here's a link to a build of the chuck on this site by ozzie46. He's still listed as an active member, but his last post was August of 2012.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/diy-5-c-collet-chuck.8079/

Last edited:

TomS

Active User
I can say these products are high quality. I made the MA21 collet chuck for a Seneca Falls Star #20 lathe several years ago. Using the castings and following the instructions the chuck was completed with .0002" run out. This particular piece can be made from raw stock. It's a copy of one originally made by Pat Loop. He published the plans in the June 1988 issue of the magazine "Projects In Metal".

Here's a link to a build of the chuck on this site by ozzie46. He's still listed as an active member, but his last post was August of 2012.

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/diy-5-c-collet-chuck.8079/
I built that chuck for my G4000 several years ago. Instead of bearing balls I used Oilite bronze thrust washers and machined the nose with a taper. Worked great while I had the lathe.

20150309_173209.jpg

jwmay

Registered
Registered
Thanks doogieB. I’ve been looking for a US supplier for 2 months. Ordered the milling vise kit.

jwmay

Registered
Registered

DoogieB

Active User
If you guys get a casting kit I wouldn't mind seeing a quick write-up. I really don't need another drill press vise, but the price isn't bad and it looks like a fun project.

I'm sure going to order the cross slide kit for my logan , hope to God these injections work on my spine in two days . To many things I want to build and do. Plus I need to work fixing small engines to pay for the shop builds . Don't hurt to by food to , very tight now with just disability income. Damn I hate being poor.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Don’t get me wrong. I see absolutely nothing wrong with buying kits. And the pride in doing your thing in your HM shop. But, if the kit is a vise or the like that can be had commercially? Well, I only have one life and time ain’t on my side. I’m going to make things/stuff that you can’t buy in the store or I can make better…Dave

jwmay

Registered
Registered
Well Dave, I can’t buy a vise I made in the store. I get your point though.:)

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I agree there are times when it's more cost effective to just buy something rather than spend hours making it. But there are times when you need a tool and there is nothing other than a kit available regardless of price. I made the MLA-21 collet chuck for my Seneca Falls machine after looking for nearly a year for a commercially available chuck under $500.00. There weren't any available, especially with a 1 7/16-12 back plate. The only recourse was to pay huge dollars to have a commercial one made to order, or make one myself. If I recall correctly, at the time, the kit cost about $125.00 with shipping. It took about 2 weeks of spare time to complete it. It was a huge improvement over the 2C collet system the lathe originally came with. The 2C collets only go up to 9/16" and they are no longer available except by special order from Hardinge. The new chuck allows up to 1 1/8" standard collets, plus step collets that can handle up to 3".

On the other hand there was a time when I was looking for a die filer. I considered building the MLA-18 from the Metal Lathe Accessories website. However at the cost of $181.00 plus shipping I was able to find a used commercial unit in excellent condition, complete with a motor and stand for much less. I couldn't justify spending the money for the kit, and still have to buy a motor and make or buy a stand. I would consider other kits if the cost to build a particular tool was less expensive than buying it.

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I'm sure going to order the cross slide kit for my logan , hope to God these injections work on my spine in two days . To many things I want to build and do. Plus I need to work fixing small engines to pay for the shop builds . Don't hurt to by food to , very tight now with just disability income. Damn I hate being poor.
Isn't that cross slide just for a South Bend 10K & 9".

jwmay

Registered
Registered
IIRC, the Southbend casting he sells has been adapted for Logan use by a few. It mentions that it will fit some Logan lathes in the description.

n7gtb

Swarf
Registered
Uh oh! You just cost me $24.70 :big grin:
Did you received your kit from O'Keefe? I ordered from them as well, but ultimately my order was later declined and my money refunded. I also noticed that their web site appears to be closed to public access...(?)

kev74

Registered
Registered
Did you received your kit from O'Keefe? I ordered from them as well, but ultimately my order was later declined and my money refunded. I also noticed that their web site appears to be closed to public access...(?)
Nope. I ordered on 3/25, they created a shipping label on 3/27 and that was the last I heard from them. I got no response to phone calls or emails either. I'll give them 1 more week, then I'll take it up with paypal or my credit card company.

jwmay

Registered
Registered
I ordered on the 27th, and never received anything, or heard anything from them after repeated emails and calls that were never answered. I have a case open through PayPal right now.

kspainhour

Swarf
Registered
I have the same results with okeefe castings. I placed a order and never received a shipping conformation. I have a case open with PayPal now also.

Take care,
Keith

kev74

Registered
Registered
I was able to get someone on the phone there on 4/19. The guy seemed frazzled already at 9am. He took my information and said it would ship on 4/19 or 4/20. I'll give them till 4/27 for it to arrive before I file a claim.

Those Mr. Pete videos got 20,000+ views. I think a tiny company got swamped.

n7gtb

Swarf
Registered
I was able to get someone on the phone there on 4/19. The guy seemed frazzled already at 9am. He took my information and said it would ship on 4/19 or 4/20. I'll give them till 4/27 for it to arrive before I file a claim.

Those Mr. Pete videos got 20,000+ views. I think a tiny company got swamped.
Any updates? I'm assuming since nothing more has been posted, that you were unsuccessful in getting a casting(?). By your description, that's the same guy that took my info, and promised a reply (I got nothing until emailing Karrie Stallings)...

kev74

Registered
Registered
Nothing. I'll finish the dispute with paypal when I get a chance to sit in front of the computer instead of my phone.

I also emailed Ms. Stallings and did not get a response.

kev74

Registered
Registered
I've got a claim in with PayPal now.

Has anyone here gotten one of these kits?

kspainhour

Swarf
Registered
Just a update. Paypal refunded the money. From looking at the claim I don't think the seller ever responded. Oh well, I was looking forward to making the vise.

Keith

vocatexas

Registered
Registered
I just tried to look at the website and the link won't work for me. Did they close up shop?

jwmay

Registered
Registered
The website closed a couple weeks after we all ordered our kits I believe.

I also got refunded after opening a case through PayPal.

I did search O’Keefe casting company, and found some information that would appear to indicate it’s a legitimate business, and has been around since 1962. But it’s listed as a place that does aluminum castings, while the website we all used didn’t mention anything like that.

Since this thread was labeled as such, I also tried to order a machine vise casting from college engineering supply in the UK. It took about 2 weeks for them to reply by email that they no longer offer the kit #565. So that ones a no go also, for anyone still trying. They may have others. Their reply didn’t say so. But you may spend a lot of time waiting for a reply from them to find out.

[6]
[5] [7]