Drill press vise casting kit ???

Thanks doogieB. I’ve been looking for a US supplier for 2 months. Ordered the milling vise kit.

If you guys get a casting kit I wouldn't mind seeing a quick write-up. I really don't need another drill press vise, but the price isn't bad and it looks like a fun project.

I'm sure going to order the cross slide kit for my logan , hope to God these injections work on my spine in two days . To many things I want to build and do. Plus I need to work fixing small engines to pay for the shop builds . Don't hurt to by food to , very tight now with just disability income. Damn I hate being poor.

Don’t get me wrong. I see absolutely nothing wrong with buying kits. And the pride in doing your thing in your HM shop. But, if the kit is a vise or the like that can be had commercially? Well, I only have one life and time ain’t on my side. I’m going to make things/stuff that you can’t buy in the store or I can make better…Dave

Well Dave, I can’t buy a vise I made in the store. I get your point though.:)

I agree there are times when it's more cost effective to just buy something rather than spend hours making it. But there are times when you need a tool and there is nothing other than a kit available regardless of price. I made the MLA-21 collet chuck for my Seneca Falls machine after looking for nearly a year for a commercially available chuck under $500.00. There weren't any available, especially with a 1 7/16-12 back plate. The only recourse was to pay huge dollars to have a commercial one made to order, or make one myself. If I recall correctly, at the time, the kit cost about $125.00 with shipping. It took about 2 weeks of spare time to complete it. It was a huge improvement over the 2C collet system the lathe originally came with. The 2C collets only go up to 9/16" and they are no longer available except by special order from Hardinge. The new chuck allows up to 1 1/8" standard collets, plus step collets that can handle up to 3".

On the other hand there was a time when I was looking for a die filer. I considered building the MLA-18 from the Metal Lathe Accessories website. However at the cost of $181.00 plus shipping I was able to find a used commercial unit in excellent condition, complete with a motor and stand for much less. I couldn't justify spending the money for the kit, and still have to buy a motor and make or buy a stand. I would consider other kits if the cost to build a particular tool was less expensive than buying it.

I'm sure going to order the cross slide kit for my logan , hope to God these injections work on my spine in two days . To many things I want to build and do. Plus I need to work fixing small engines to pay for the shop builds . Don't hurt to by food to , very tight now with just disability income. Damn I hate being poor.
Isn't that cross slide just for a South Bend 10K & 9".

IIRC, the Southbend casting he sells has been adapted for Logan use by a few. It mentions that it will fit some Logan lathes in the description.

Uh oh! You just cost me $24.70 :big grin:
Did you received your kit from O'Keefe? I ordered from them as well, but ultimately my order was later declined and my money refunded. I also noticed that their web site appears to be closed to public access...(?)

Back