Drill/Tap 1340GT Spindle for Spider

parshal

Registered
Registered
First post here although I've been lurking for a bit. I ordered a 1340GT which should be here in a week or two. I've got Mark's 3-phase electronics upgrade on order along with the Hitachi VFD from QMT.

I will be using this for rifle barrel work through the headstock and will either make a spider or directly drill and tap the spindle. I've only found one thread where someone actually drilled the spindle itself. This seems like the simplest way to go about it since it won't affect the cover when the centering bolts are removed.

I'm curious if anyone else has done this.

Thanks!

Are you sure your lathe is not already equipped with the outboard screws?

I drilled and tapped my spindle like the guy in the link you provided. Its not that difficult.

I don't know if it is or not but I suspect not given the number of threads I've seen about making a spider.

I was planning on drilling and tapping so wanted to ask if anyone had an issue with it. It's good to see another successful one!

I started by making a spider too because it was a nice project and I did not want to risk mucking up the spindle. But it eventually became clear how to drill and tap the spindle with confidence so I went ahead. Glad I did.

You may already know this but I will throw it out there.

If you drill and tap the spindle be sure to clock it to the forward holding device, i. e. 4-jaw chuck or forward spider. Makes dialing in a whole lot easier.

Hi this is my first post here too. Just picked up my Precision Matthews 1340GT on Monday July19,2021. The spindle on mine is to short to drill and tap, on my way to pick a piece of round stock to make a collar for it.

(collar) In the past it has helped to be able to remove the collar and re install when needed. Also when indexing barrels from time to time I have had to move slightly to get the indexing right on.

Made a collar for my 1340, and use setscrews to hold it on the spindle. No way I'd drill the spindle on my lathe, but that's just me.

Back