Drilling a socket?

You should have just bought a wrench.....:grin:

That thought has crossed my mind, I don't think I'm the first to get an idea in his head, and come hell or high water you will have the tool you want, not necessarily what is most practical. :abnornal:

You have the taper attachment
You coold sell that and purchase the deluxe Aloris set

I have the Little Machine Shop QCTP which I understand is basically a knock off of the Aloris QCTP. The thing is they seem to assume you will use carbide tooling and not want to change the angle of the tool frequently, so just have a standard flanged not holding the post down. I use HSS so change angles more frequently.

As Derf so kindly points out easily fixed with a wrench, but I'm in the habit of a T handle hex wrench. Probably swapping the nut for a wing nut would have done the trick too and cost me $0.46.

Most sockets are not that hard. Otherwise they would crack to easily. I have not found one yet that I can not drill with HSS drill bits. I have drilled and turned many through the years. It is the chrome that is hard. But that is a very thin layer and can be ground through before drilling easily with a dremel or hit with a carbide to get through the chrome.

Good to know and that makes sense. I've read enough posts from people trying to drill something and be told , yeah, we could have told you that stuff is hard (rail road tracks seem to come to mind). Easy enough to ask first as I won't get to it until this evening or tomorrow.

If you drill the socket and stick a handle in it would look like a drilled socket.
Something like this looks better to me :)

IMG_0138.JPG

you could of had it done by now, by which ever way :)

I decided to make a little cap that fits on the back that will accept the T handle.

My first official project using the mill. I already managed to slice my thumb on the end mill while setting up the vise (mill not running, but those things are sharp o_O ).

The cap is done, need to drill it and make the T handle tomorrow. Will post photos when done. Thanks for bouncing ideas with me.

You can drill it, I do it often, just go slow and carefully. I even tapped them. If I use a socket for a project I pick them up at a auto parts store so their are good quality
238ee92b7b0fd3e33da821cdffffe93e.jpg

In fact this is 1 1/4 socket to use hex dies with on my lathe. I bored and bushed the end for 1/2 rod. Drilled and tapped for the handles and the screw for the die holder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you drill the socket and stick a handle in it would look like a drilled socket.
Something like this looks better to me :)

I agree, the square hole is easy to mill (or file) a boss to fit, and the socket is deep enough to just
use a screw and washer to retain that boss. Make any kind of tee handle you like, and attach
it with a hidden screw, washer, and some threadlocker.

Back