Drilling a socket?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I want to make a T handled 14mm wrench to adjust the top nut on a quick release tool post.

I bought a 14mm deep socket at Home Depot which really is almost enough a tool to do the job as is, but where is the fun in that.

The cheapest, easiest way to do it would be to just drill a hole near the top insert a piece of rod and secure it.

I've considered other options including buying a 3/8" T handle hex key and cutting it off so the handle matches my other lathe / mill wrenches, but that is a $15 solution to a $1.99 problem (as if this whole project isn't a solution looking for a problem).

I'm just not sure how hard the metal of a socket is, practical to drill or not?

Home Depot, Husky brand socket, so on the lower end price wise, but generally decent quality.

If drilling the socket isn't a great idea, I can always use some key stock or similar to insert into the drive socket and drill through that. Going through the socket just looks cleaner and makes a slightly more compact tool.

Why not get 3/8ths square stock steel and make a T. Then use JB to epoxy it together.

That is basically plan B.

Weld it, that’s what I did, also drilled taped two set screw holes where the nut is to keep it there. Not the prettiest weld but it works.
CAAB25E8-FFF2-432B-903E-73FC61ECF9F1.jpeg

Being that it is a deep socket and likely pretty hard, you could partially anneal the squared end and be able to drill it easily, you can sit the socket end in water to prevent it from being annealed.

drill it, weld it, buy one of these and snap it
https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-7-in-slide-bar-handle-3-8-in-drive
(not that i'm endorsing craftsman)

That would be the smart thing to do, but too easy.. :)

I'm really amazed that a small simple (cheap) T handle isn't available commercially, I just want about 3" for a little more grip. Basically like a T handle hex or Torx driver.

Weld it, that’s what I did, also drilled taped two set screw holes where the nut is to keep it there. Not the prettiest weld but it works.
View attachment 265466

That is basically what I'm looking to do, but with the handle centered, and a little prettier. Tiny lathe so doesn't need a lot of torque to snug the nut down.

Being that it is a deep socket and likely pretty hard, you could partially anneal the squared end and be able to drill it easily, you can sit the socket end in water to prevent it from being annealed.

That's an idea, I could probably manage that.

You have the taper attachment
You coold sell that and purchase the deluxe Aloris set

Most sockets are not that hard. Otherwise they would crack to easily. I have not found one yet that I can not drill with HSS drill bits. I have drilled and turned many through the years. It is the chrome that is hard. But that is a very thin layer and can be ground through before drilling easily with a dremel or hit with a carbide to get through the chrome.

Back