• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Drilling across a threaded shaft's diameter and/or threaded adapter's diameter

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Scott(GA)

In the JET Lathes, Mills, Saws, Etc. Forum I posted my efforts at adding a Z-Axis Powerfeed to my JET Milling Machine.

Pretty much the last step of the installation is to drill a 5mm hole through the Powerfeed shaft & Manual Crank Handle adapter and insert a Spring Pin.

I had thought I'd take the adapter off the shaft and drill the hole through it using the Milling Machine but I was concerned that doing so - without something inside the adapter to protect the threads - might cause problems.

The issue is explained in detail in the Powerfeed thread: Here's a link to the actual POST that details things with pictures and such.

As I was having issues finding a bolt that matched the internal threads of the Adapter, I was wondering if drilling through the Adapter without something in the hole would be a mistake.

Scott

Dave Paine

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I think the issue is burrs on the inside when the drill exits the top side of the hole. May also get burrs on the bottom side. If I were doing this I would prefer to have a tap to clean up the burrs. If you make a 7/8in x 12 tpi plug and screw this in, you may still get burrs and may have a challenge getting the plug out.

7/8in x 12 tpi is a special thread. Taps exist, just are not cheap.

7/8in x 12 tpi tap at Victor Machinery.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Making a "pseudo-tap" would be a good way to avoid the burr problem- make a threaded shaft and mill a couple slots lengthwise on it, like a tap. Then use it to chase the threads in the adapter after you drill. You may not even need it if you use a nice sharp drill, a dull drill will leave a nasty burr for sure
Mark

P. Waller

There are methods of creating such holes without burrs but few hobby shops would have the equipment for it.

derf

Reach inside with a Dremel and deburr it...

[6]
[5] [7]