Drilling titanium

3strucking

Registered
Registered
What would be the best choice for drilling titanium, HSS or carbide? I am going to guess carbide but would like a experienced opinion.

Never machined it but read that the real problem is heat removal (think: hollow drill bits). For machine work, use a ton of cooling, as heat collects in the material and doesn't flow through it, melting the cutter. To answer your question though, probably carbide, but even then, you have to get the heat out of it.

Carbide but HSS will work. I prefer to drill pilot holes with carbide then use HSS to open up the hole further (if I don't have the appropriate size carbide). This prevents me from having to use bad words & yelling.

20200707_151544.jpg 20200701_222354.jpg

Drilling isn't really an issue . Carbide or HSS will do the trick if the heat is controlled . The real problem arrives when you have to tap the hole . Some Ti is tougher than a $2 steak !

I'm wondering if Aukai ever finished up those Ti valve cover screws yet ? Mike , let me know how you made out . :)

I thought you put inserts in for that? I haven't done any automotive in a bit.

I drill it just fine until the instant I don't. As mentioned, be cognizant of heat. I prefer to drill and then bore with a carbide insert to size. Titanium is great to machine besides tapping and drilling. I need to invest in some powdered metal taps but $$$!!

Back