Drilling vs Milling hole tolerances

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Learned the hard way previously about over sized holes when drilling with ordinary twist drills and drill presses with poor bearings.

What kind of allowance does one make when using a milling tool to make a hole? For instance, in my shop I have a roughing mill that says it's 1/2". Using a mike, it's 0.497", if I recall correctly. If the hole is pre-drilled at 7/16" or slightly less, and then this roughing mill is used, what hole size could one expect? I know no one knows the exact answer, but what would one typically expect?

My guess is that it will be dependent on how fast stuff is moving. a slow RPM plunged slowly into the hole with plenty of lubricant will end up only a few tenths larger than measured diameter. High speeds and a fast plunge and it might be a couple of thou. It is dependent on the cutting forces, the rigidity of the machine and the smoothness of the bearings.

But this is also a reason I have 115 drill bits from 1/32-through-1/2 all the letter and all the numbered bits.

I have the same 115 drills. Can't say that all of those drills are straight or ground perfectly. Certainly some of those twist drills have lead me astray. If I find a bad one, it gets replaced.

Of course, the hole size depends on the TIR of your machine, and the end mill tool. I have no experience using end mills to open up a hole. Hence, I posed the question to at least get a feel for what one might expect. Guess it really is a beginner's question...

If the hole is "of reasonable size" then boring is the proper way to get an exact fit.
Where reasonable size is 1/4" and larger.

Best way to answer this is to drill a hole and run your end mill in there and see what happens.
Guess I'll run a test piece then. Kind of hard to measure ID's of holes of that size. At the moment all I have is a dial caliper, and a rod that I measured to 0.5005" using a micrometer. Guess it will be a go-no go test.

Regardless of how the hole is made, if it has a tolerance or parallel spec you are trying to hit you might consider boring it on the mill with a boring head or on the lathe (if you can chuck the part) with a boring bar. If it's just a bolt hole, use the drill and call it good. You can also finish ream a drilled hole.

I would likely go with a machine reamer, it would be good to know what it needs to fit and how closely it needs to fit.

I'm glad you mentioned a reamer John.
I watched a video this morning where a guy made a floating reamer holder where the reamer could do it's work with no radial influence from the tail stock chuck or mill chuck.
I don't have very much experience with reaming but it did make sense.
Have you found they are required in some applications?

Back