Drilling vs Milling hole tolerances

If the reamer runs true in the chuck, there is no need for a floating holder; I do not have one since I sold my business, and rarely used them there. I do not generally ream from the tailstock, I use the Aloris tool holder and have adjustment vertically and horizontally to center the reamer or whatever tool that I am using; generally, one uses a fairly agressive feed with machine reamers to get them to cut to size.

I use the Aloris tool holder and have adjustment vertically and horizontally to center the reamer
Do you just clamp it in the holder or have you made a carrier for the chucking reamer? I never thought of using a QCTP method.

Found a piece of O1 rod that miked out at 0.5003. Also the hammer handle that I turned to 0.5005. The 1/2" roughing mill cut a 0.700" deep hole in a 12L14 test piece that just lets the 0.5005 rod go in. The O1 rod goes in slightly easier. No interference on the 0.5005" rod, but a tight slide fit. If I pull out the rod (straight) then there is a vacuum pop.

This only means the hole milled is close to 0.5005. So for this end mill on my machine, the hole is not hugely far off. Still don't know what size the hole really is.

This is just for a hammer that I am making. Wanted a very close fit for the aluminum handle to the head. The hole I made is close to what I wanted, but honestly, it was just beginners luck. The right way is to bore it to fit. Don't have a boring head yet for my mill. Maybe someone can make a suggestion for a boring head that would work on a PM25? PM's boring tool is out of stock.

How thick of material are you cutting? I just did a test piece last week on a 1/4" wall thickness box tubing with a 1/2" annular cutter. It left a very nice hole, and a Brillo pad worth of swarf. I'll see if I can remember, and find it to measure it.

Do you just clamp it in the holder or have you made a carrier for the chucking reamer? I never thought of using a QCTP method.
I have a #3 and #4 morse taper holder, and use a drill chuck or use MT sleeves if the reamers are taper shank.

How thick of material are you cutting? I just did a test piece last week on a 1/4" wall thickness box tubing with a 1/2" annular cutter. It left a very nice hole, and a Brillo pad worth of swarf. I'll see if I can remember, and find it to measure it.
Hole is 0.600" deep

Back