Drillrod question

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
Hallo everyone

Can anyone tell me what metal properties is of drillrod or what it consists off. I live in South Africa and I can't get hold of drillrod in my are and now I want to see if I can get something similar to it.Here I can get EN8 bright,don't know if it is nearly the same.Would appreciate if someone can help me

Thank you
Michael

You may find it described as "silver steel", as that's the more common name in the more-recent Empire - it's a hardenable carbon steel, if you can't find it under those maybe it'll be listed as "tool steel", there are various types labelled (in the USA at least) as O[number], A[number], W[number] depending on whether they're Oil, Air or Water quenched (prior to tempering, the quench will leave them "glass-hard" and brittle)

Dave H. (the other one)

Hallo everyone

Can anyone tell me what metal properties is of drillrod or what it consists off. I live in South Africa and I can't get hold of drillrod in my are and now I want to see if I can get something similar to it.Here I can get EN8 bright,don't know if it is nearly the same.Would appreciate if someone can help me

Thank you
Michael

Hallo Dave

I have just checked the sit and will compare it to what is available here tomorrow.

Thanks again
Michael

Thank you Bill,I will check it out.
Thank you for you input.
I am glad I joined this forum.

Hallo everyone

Thank you
Michael

Hi Michael,

I have bought ground silver steel rod from RS components. Go to http://za.rs-online.com/web/c/abras...eets-angles/steel-rods-bars-tubes-hexagonals/ and select "Siver steel" from the materials filter on the left. Silver steel is closer to W-1 steel than to O-1, but I have used it to make a number of things like taps and hardened bushings.
I concede that buying tool steel from RS components is like buying toothpaste at WoolWorths, if I am allowed a local analogy :), but it is convenient, and reasonably priced in smaller diameters.

I can also recommend Bohler Uddeholm http://www.bohler-uddeholm.co.za/115.php. They do sell directly to the public (I bought some O-1 ground plate from them in small quantities), just email them and ask if they can supply you with K460 ground rod. The K460 designation is their product code for an O-1 tool steel.

A last option would be http://specialsteels.co.za/; I am not sure if they stock O-1 or W-1, but when I order EN19 from a local steel supplier then they appear to order it from Special Steels. EN19 is not really a replacement for O-1 or W-1, but I love working with it. Just for completeness: EN19 is somewhere between 4130 and 4140 alloy steel, so it can be hardened, and it machines beautifully -- I much rather use EN19 than mild steel just because it turns so well with carbide tooling (unlike mild steel).

Hope this helps.

-Frans

Back