Drills vs End Mils

oskar

Registered
Registered
I have a 1/2" aluminum rod mounted on the chuck of my mini lathe and I want to drill a 1/8" hole by 1” deep into it. Can I use a regular drill mounted on the tail stock to do this job or I have to use an end mill?

As a beginner I’m not sure if HSS drills are appropriate for any lathe work

You can use a 1/8" drill bit and HSS is appropriate for use with a lathe. You should spot the work first to get a starting point. 1" is fairly deep and aluminum can be sticky. So something like WD-40 as a cutting fluid is good and then "peck" drill by going in a short way, back out to clear the chips frequently.

David

You can use a 1/8" drill bit and HSS is appropriate for use with a lathe. You should spot the work first to get a starting point. 1" is fairly deep and aluminum can be sticky. So something like WD-40 as a cutting fluid is good and then "peck" drill by going in a short way, back out to clear the chips frequently.

David

I don't know where all this WD 40 rumor started but it is by no means a cutting oil or fluid. It's a lubricant.

Just did something similar on the engine I'm making. I used a #20 drill bit, and I went in about 1" into brass. I used a cheap Harbor Freight HSS drill bit, with no issues. Just go slow and clear the chips frequently. #20 is just a bit larger than 1/8".

Pip Squeak 4 drilling.jpg

I don't know where all this WD 40 rumor started but it is by no means a cutting oil or fluid. It's a lubricant.

I don't have much use for WD-40. I do use it to dissolve old greasy gunk and for removing PSA labels etc. However for years I have found that it does make a good milling and cutting fluid for aluminum. Picked that up from other machinists. So for me personally it isn't a rumor.

David

You needn't have any amount of the 1/2 inch rod sticking out of the chuck, The closer the end is to the chuck, the more accurate the hole will be.

I don't have much use for WD-40. I do use it to dissolve old greasy gunk and for removing PSA labels etc. However for years I have found that it does make a good milling and cutting fluid for aluminum. Picked that up from other machinists. So for me personally it isn't a rumor.

David
WD-40 does work quite well as a cutting fluid for aluminum. So does kerosene, which I suspect WD-40 is mostly made of, at a small fraction of the price.

If a relatively flat bottom bore is required an end mill in the tool post or tail stock is a good way to begin, not nearly as efficient as a drill however.

If a through hole use a drill, if a flat bottomed bore is not needed use a drill, if an engineer draws a part with a blind bore with a full flat bottom beat him/her about the head and ears (-:

Back