Drills vs End Mils

an older friend once said to me (about some sore muscles) "put some wd40 on it" yea right

years later i found a GOOD chiropractor (who actually fixed me many times without a repeat visit and when no one else could)

once with a shoulder injury he said you can keep coming back to me or get some DMSO. "they used to use it in wd40" hahaha
(byproduct of wood manufacturing)

I have used DMSO for sore old man hands and wrists, and it works pretty well.

I don't know where all this WD 40 rumor started but it is by no means a cutting oil or fluid. It's a lubricant.

It comes from years of good results. Where I used to work We hade a part the required 6 3mm holes in a concave 20mm dia. 2 1/2 inches down in a cylinder. Had big problems breaking drills and holes coming out clean. This was a custom made drill machine from Germany. A rep came over looked at the coolant we where using witch was made by Trim sol. He but WD40 in the machine and no more problems.

Just a side note on DMSO, it makes the skin permeable to chemicals. A gentleman passed away after using DMSO on both legs, and spraying organophosphates in his yard.

I would think a HSS drill bit would be the tool of choice. Most 1/8" end mills have a much shorter depth of cut. A 3/8" DOC is the most common. I'm sure you could find a special made or have one made. However for one hole I doubt it would be cost effective. Another option would be to grind down the shank on one, but it would take a lot of time and patience to both modify the end mill and plunge that depth. The flutes would likely load up in short order. It would require backing out and cleaning every few thousandths.

Drilling to that depth would also require backing out and cleaning every .050" or so, but it wouldn't be nearly as time consuming or nearly as likely to break the bit.

Just a side note on DMSO, it makes the skin permeable to chemicals. A gentleman passed away after using DMSO on both legs, and spraying organophosphates in his yard.

Exactly DMSO is some really scary stuff be careful with it well be careful with what you’re handing while using it

I wouldn't use an end mill to make a hole on the lathe for the same reason that I wouldn't use one on a drill press.. Unless the end mill is perfectly centered the flat end will cause the end mill to walk on the work. A drill bit with a 118º angle has a tendency to self center on the rotating work even if the drill is slightly off the spindle axis. If I needed a flat bottomed hole, I would first drill a slightly undersized hole then carefully start an end mill to finish the hole to size and cut the flat.

Back